Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro-Fly
    Suspension
    Random assortment

End loop (continuous loop) question

I have an ENO Double Nest.

I have seen a lot of stuff on here about whoopie slings and DIY continuous loops out of Amsteel etc.

The ENO DN has a pretty beefy, and somewhat complex continuous loop at the end. the main knot making the loop is buried in the end channel, then there is another knot that seems to serve to keep the end gathered, then the loop with the carabiner on it.

It is very bulky.

My question is a simple one. I have 7/16 amsteel on the way. 50ft so i'm going to make whoopie slings. and will have 25 feet left to play with.

I know physically, yes i can easily take one off the stock end loops and replace it with my own. I just want to know. Do I have to make my end loops the exact same way as theirs (all the same knots)? or can it simply be a loop?

the knots themselves cause what seems to me to be unnecessary bulk. I go on short trips with a 35L backpack, so bulk is my greatest concern. that little bit of extra compression in a few places is another beer i can take ha ha.
    Last edited by bennylt; 03-04-2014 at 14:54.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    100% UGQ
    Suspension
    Web'g
    Maybe this link will help some. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    That video was great, but I have a follow-up question: I use Warbonnet's adjustable webbing suspension, which I love. It would still be nice to replace the bulky rope in the ends of my ENO with something else. Is that easy/recommended? What have people used?

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    No you do not need the nots if you are conceverting to continuous loops. Depending on your weight you may be able to just use the whoopieslings and no loops. I weigh 140 and im gonna skip them on my sld streamliner.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    I made my whoopies out of 1/8" but I'm a big guy. I replaced the ropes on my DN exactly as shown in the video. Now, I haven't had a chance to hang in it since, but would see no Reason it shouldn't work.

If you want to just use continuous loops with rings/buckles, the same double through to larks head like shown in the video should be sufficient.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I know what you're talking about with the eno loops. keep in mind that's with rope, so all that can go out the window if you're replacing it. Way I see it, you have at least 4 options:

1. "Dog bone" Basically a piece of Amsteel with a loop on each end. One end goes through the gathered end of the hammock, then girth hitch or "larks head" onto itself and you'll have the remaining loop to attach the carabiner to. That's similar to what you've got stock, but is removable easily.
    2. continuous loop. You make one loop of Amsteel that goes through the gathered end. There won't be a secondary loop to attach a biner to, you'll attach to that continuous loop with your biner or a dutch clip. This option is not removable without un-dooing the cont loop.
    3. If you make whoopie slings, instead of a fixed loop on one end, you can loop that to your hammock through the gathered end. The whoopies will be attached and not removable/interchangable without undoing the fixed loop.
    4. doing it like they did in the above video., which is a less-permanent version as option 3.

FWIW, I'm doing option 1 on one of my hammocks. Then I'll use a camp nano carabiner to attach my fixed loop from the hammock to the whoopie sling, and also the continuous righeline I have. A carabiner is a nice way to connect all that and quickly tear it down.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    What if...

What if I made a longer continuous loop out of my tarp guyline (1.75mm single braid dyneema) (just because I have a lot of that left), thread it through the channel (once or twice?), then larksheaded both ends to the continuous loops my cinch buckles are connected to? If that makes sense... Would that be strong enough? (I have to assume so since the 1.75mm dyneema is good to 400lbs.) Would there be any negative to having a smaller cord through the hammock channel than the large rope it came with (e.g. more pressure on a very small piece of the fabric)?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    100% UGQ
    Suspension
    Web'g
    Quote Originally Posted by jennalyn216 View Post
    That video was great, but I have a follow-up question: I use Warbonnet's adjustable webbing suspension, which I love. It would still be nice to replace the bulky rope in the ends of my ENO with something else. Is that easy/recommended? What have people used?
    I'm not sure what you are asking, but maybe this video helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc
    I replaced whoopies on one of my hammocks with Warbonnet cinch buckles, and it was quite simple. I love them.
    Last edited by Mustang; 03-04-2014 at 14:49.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    Oh, perfect! So I could just put the continuous loop with cinch buckles that I got from Warbonnet throught the hammock channel directly (just like he does at about 4:15 in that video)?!? That's so simple! And it's strong enough?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    100% UGQ
    Suspension
    Web'g
    Quote Originally Posted by jennalyn216 View Post
    Oh, perfect! So I could just put the continuous loop with cinch buckles that I got from Warbonnet throught the hammock channel directly (just like he does at about 4:15 in that video)?!? That's so simple! And it's strong enough?
    Yes, exactly. It's very easy. I'm 6'-2" and 220 lbs. and have had no issues.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast