Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talk to me about the negatives...

So I've hit a wall with my bridge hammock desires. This forces me, while I Weight Watchers my way to a better me, to examine other directions.

Which brings me to this thread...

What's the downside of hammock types?

Gathered end?

Bridge?

What common issues do people face with each type?

I understand that bridges can be narrow. I understand gathereds can post calf/knee comfort issues.

But what else? If I'm going to spend my money, I might as well learn what I can beforehand, and while my thinking thus far has lead me to bridge style hammocks, maybe I'm missing some info.

Images
    Not all gathered end hammocks have calfridge pressure.
    My 11' Snipe and my 11' RoamingGnome doesn't. My 10' Switchback doesn't.

I recently purchased a used BMBH-UL bridge. It is extremely comfortable but
    it does fit you like a glove. Kind of grabs you and holds you in place.
    This takes some getting used to if you are used to moving all over the place in an 11x60 gatherend.

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    My only experience so far is with Gathered End style, and I've never run into a problem with calf/knees. I may have gotten lucky and found the right hang angle etc. for me on my first try, as I've generally hung it the same way ever since.
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
    --Guessing Emerson didn't practice Leave No Trace

In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences. -- R.G. Ingersoll

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    My 144" x 64" DIY channel end has a calf ridge, but it doesn't matter b/c its so wide and long that my legs just go past it.

I went with channel/gathered end hammocks b/c of the low cost and less stuff needed to carry into the woods for set up.

The DIY I made cost me about $20 in fabric, $14 for some dyneema racer slings for the suspension, and (IIRC) $10 for an adjustable ridgeline I could have made myself if I didn't suck at splicing.

Images
    I own 2 gathered end hammocks and have tested 2 different kinds of bridge hammocks. One of the bridge hammocks held you tight enough that I preferred the gathered end but one of the bridge hammocks had spreader bars and that allowed much more freedom to move around. With spreader bars the tarp must be wider to cover the wider hammock.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I love the bridge design, but I am a tosser and turner, so I can't sleep very well in a bridge hammock. I have several gathered end hammocks and like the longer (11') ones better. It seems easier to find the sweet spot in them, but my WBBB 1.1 is nice and I can find the sweet spot pretty easy, but sometimes I do get a little calf ridge, but I work it out.

The main problem with a hammock is it is so comfortable, and fun that it becomes and addiction, and you will want all the neat gear to go with it. Bad for the wallet or purse.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I'm a big guy and tend to cause fabrics to stretch....this results in calf pressure/ridge, or at least that's been my experience. I've converted to a bridge hammock and find it more comfortable. With that said, it sounds like you might already know this. So another reason for liking the bridge hammock is that it affords better views in all sides.

My favorite reason for going to a bridge hammock is that it/they take pads extremely well which is nice if you need to affordably supplement your quilt(s).
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Since I sleep alright in gathered end hammocks, I would not take a bridge hammock hiking. Yes, bridge hammocks have a very flat lay. But the two I own (WB Ridgerunnder and Eureka Chrysalis) require an awful lot of space to hang compared to a simple gathered end hammock. They are also heavier and there's the issue with the spreader bars under the tarp. If you sleep on your stomach, prefer sleeping on your sides or are very sensitive to ridges, all these negatives are negligible, though.

As others have mentioned, gathered end hammocks have less views than bridge hammocks. And there's the issue with the ridge. All gathered ends have a ridge. This is simply the way the fabric reacts to weight. However, most people find it easy to move the ridge where it doesn't bother them; under the torso or the upper legs. It also depends on the hammock cut, length and width, and your size, weight and proportions. Other than that, I don't see any negatives.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Once I got my setup adjusted, no calf ridge at all. Plus, I sleep on my side anyway so it would not matter really. Never tried a bridge but my Wilderness Logics Night Owl is really awesome! BTW, I am 5'10" and weigh 185. I too am trying to slim down. Doc says I have to. But after a vacation to Mexico recently and now being in Austria on business the food is killing my diet.

Oh and yes, I am rambling because I speak very little German and have no one to talk to here!!!! Uh!

I would suggest DIYing a long gathered end hammock. My latest is 11' 9" and my calf problems are no longer. It's far more comfortable than my HH expedition.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast