DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Question on a tent/tarp thing...

I was setting up the various cheap tarps I own in the parents yard..and well..I pulled out this duck hunter camo tarp thing and looked at how it was made and how it seems to tell me that the small panel (its a T shape) is the floor while the larger panel is the roof....so I decided to set it up as if it was an A-frame with a floor....and then I looked closer to the side edge of the long open side (other side is sewn)..lo and behold, evidence that it WAS sewn together at one point...to make a tube tent of sorts....now my question is; how does one reattach the side edges without resorting to the backpack/bag style of sewing one side then flip inside out? What's interesting is that it kinda looks like it was meant for a Military Jungle Hammock with bug net, but because of the stitched edges, it would be impossible to get in the hammock unless one used a zipper in that position..

EDIT: the measurements are as follows; the top/roof portion is 96" long and 72" wide, or 8 ft by 6 ft, while the floor portion/bottom portion is 72" x 59" (was 60" but hemmed down to 59" it seems), or 6 ft long by 4 ft 11 in... now with a 70" or a 71" zipper I can get locally, two way opening/separating, I could make it a super minimal hammock shelter, with only the ends letting the breeze in? it would be 5 1/2" from an 85" ridge line for a 103" hammock, and won't cover the suspension at all (would need to make a drip line or four for the suspension portion)... I know it seems INCREDIBLY small for a hammock tarp.... I'm thinking it's more for a warm weather with little chance of rain sort of thing... It's almost the same size as an USGI poncho for the top portion though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CamoDeafie82; 03-05-2014 at 03:53.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I'm not sure what is going on with the ground sheet being sewn on both sides, I've never seen that before. The tarp itself is what in the UK would be called a basha, while pretty poor for hammock use its uses around camp are endless. If you have a look at the bushcraft websites they will have tons of ideas on its deployment.

If your set on its use as a hammock canopy i'd hang it corner to corner, even with both sides sewn you should be able to climb in, just.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    I'm not sure what is going on with the ground sheet being sewn on both sides, I've never seen that before. The tarp itself is what in the UK would be called a basha, while pretty poor for hammock use its uses around camp are endless. If you have a look at the bushcraft websites they will have tons of ideas on its deployment.

If your set on its use as a hammock canopy i'd hang it corner to corner, even with both sides sewn you should be able to climb in, just.
    well I've been thinking that if I put a zipper instead of permanently sewing the remaining side, that it would allow me to use it as a bivy shelter, or a hammock shelter pitched either way....and with the ground sheet becoming a sort of underquilt protector/garlington insulator....it would help a little at night? I think it was homemade for a Boy Scout or a hunter, because I've never seen another "duck blind" the same shape.......but I've seen tube tents sorta like it in bright orange..

I figure if it don't work as well as a hammock shelter, I could always unzip the side and hang it like this.... for a lean to shelter.
    the sewn ground sheet has 6 webbing loop tie outs, one at each corner and one each in the center of the long sides, while the ridge line has 5 webbing loops for the ridge line tie out

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Alrighy. I got a 70" two way zipper (sleeping bag zipper) locally. am going to sew it on the open edge and then will test it out with a hammock and see just how BAD it is :P

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    well I've been thinking that if I put a zipper instead of permanently sewing the remaining side, that it would allow me to use it as a bivy shelter, or a hammock shelter pitched either way....and with the ground sheet becoming a sort of underquilt protector/garlington insulator....it would help a little at night? I think it was homemade for a Boy Scout or a hunter, because I've never seen another "duck blind" the same shape.......but I've seen tube tents sorta like it in bright orange..

I figure if it don't work as well as a hammock shelter, I could always unzip the side and hang it like this.... for a lean to shelter.
    the sewn ground sheet has 6 webbing loop tie outs, one at each corner and one each in the center of the long sides, while the ridge line has 5 webbing loops for the ridge line tie out

You might velcro the loose side to the top, that should keep water from running in the sides, maybe a cord and velcro on the ends to get them off the ground.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    You might velcro the loose side to the top, that should keep water from running in the sides, maybe a cord and velcro on the ends to get them off the ground.
    Man...If I had seen this earlier.....I would've done that...or added a rain flap over the zipper.

Set it up as a bivy in the darkening day after the rains stopped....After I staked the ground sheet tight, I noticed that with the ridge line set up to the poles, that the corners became doors....and the reason for the gray lines from the grommets on the corners became rather clear..they were meant to facilitate tying them as doors for sheltering purposes....so now that I think about it, using it as a hammock shelter should prove very interesting.... I could've cut the ground sheet off and then used it as a diagonal tarp after removing the ridge line.....but no.... I wanted to get it as close to original as I could lol
    EDIT: Maybe I should do 2 tie outs on the center side of the top panels for guy lines so that it gets expanded.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts