Dream's Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

Get me off the ground!

Hello forum peeps,

So I stumbled across this new way off camping when browsing the web. Im looking for something for spring thru fall and yes, I just might try hanging out in the winter months. I noticed that Clarks and Hennessey get mentioned a bit more than others, why is that? Also found out that Clark is in my neck of the woods.

Anyways, looking forward to a new way to enjoy the outdoors. So any advice would help on what to look at as I learn this lingo/slang.

Thanks
    Jon

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Start with Shug

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Williams View Post
    Hello forum peeps,

So I stumbled across this new way off camping when browsing the web. Im looking for something for spring thru fall and yes, I just might try hanging out in the winter months. I noticed that Clarks and Hennessey get mentioned a bit more than others, why is that? Also found out that Clark is in my neck of the woods.

Anyways, looking forward to a new way to enjoy the outdoors. So any advice would help on what to look at as I learn this lingo/slang.

Thanks
    Jon
    Wow that's news. Those two are the least talked about here if we are discussing camping hammocks and not just rec hammocks like ENO.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    100% UGQ
    Suspension
    Web'g
    I think it is because the Clark and Hennessey are more of a production style (greater availability) hammock, where as the others are made to order. There is probably a significant price difference as well. I have never owned either of those hammocks, so I can't really say too much on their behalf.

First off Jon, welcome to the forums!

...and a whole subculture! I'm still newish myself, but have met some pretty nice folks here, and seen some that are looney (lookin' at you Shug, but love your style!)

I'll recommend this thread as a useful starting point.

Just last night I purchased my first hammock after a couple months of research. It wasn't what I was thinking I wanted, but the research, and several conversations with manufacturers directly, led me there. We'll see in time if this was the right choice for me.

Its a personal journey.

As for what's popular, I'd take it with a grain of salt. Everyone loves what they just spent money on, most don't like to admit mistakes, especially costly ones, and some are more hands-on than others. Examine your expected use cases carefully and research facts that relate to them. Ask specific questions in here, and expect some conversations to veer off topic every now and again.

Bottom line, though, is you're in the right place.

duane

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome Jon,

Lots of info on all sorts of hammocks here. HH and Clark are mass produced off the shelf rigs and there are lots of people out there hanging with them. Many folks here use them but I would say most of the population here have hammocks made by the cottage vendors here. Look through those as well before you decide as you will likely spend less and get more features...Though you will have a slight wait time for it to get made for you.

There is a Hang (group get together) coming up in mid June at Flaming Gorge. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=utah
    Come if you can, there will be lots of hammocks and gear to check out as well as a pot luck, river floats on the Green, day hikes, and a good time to hang out and get to know other hammock hangers.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think Hennessy Hammocks are many peoples first hammock because it can be bought from Amazon and other retail outlets. Nothing wrong with them. I have one and used it for a while before deciding I needed a longer one. I keep it for friends of my kids that come camping with use sometimes and it's now an extra hammock.

I went to a WBBB and DIY hammock because I enjoy messing with different hammocks and suspensions. Best thing is as long as you take good care of it you can resell it and not be out much money if it isn't working out for you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    Similar to Nodust, a HH was my first. Bottom Entry. Bought it at REI with my dividend a few years back. I may have enjoyed it more if I had sent it over to 2QZQ for some love, but I instead opted for a Warbonnet BB and it is terrific. HH still has a space in the closet however for friends/family or anytime an extra is needed. I did swap out the default suspension on the HH which helped a lot with weight and pack-ability.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+4oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    It's an addiction once you get started!

These forums are the best thing I came across since finding hammocks.

You can see what I went with under my avi. I made my decision based off the integrated bug net (camp in MN, state bird is a mosquito) and all of the positive reviews people gave Brandon. Just do your own research, and form your own opinions. But, beware....once you pop, you can't stop. I have a 0 degree incubator on the way from the for sale section on this site. Once you find out what Dutch makes, you'll also be in trouble there. Keep your eye out in the for sale section once you find what you want.

Done rambling, and good luck!

Hammock
    Dream's Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Can you throw out some hammocks to look at for a 6ft 200 pound chap? I do love supporting them ma and pa shops. Maybe in time id venture into making my own gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast