Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Structural ridgeline of short hammocks

I'm curious with regards to ridgeline lengths / heights of short(er) hammocks. My first hammock was a 10' Warbonnet Blackbird, which has the mosquito netting hung over the ridgeline. All gathered end hammocks I purchased subsequently were 11' models that work similar. When I saw hammocks like the Switchback or the Claytor hammocks, I always assumed that those hammocks had their nets held up independently, because a structural ridgeline would be too close to the face. But recently I have been experimenting with DIY hammocks. I also made a 8.5' and 9' model - and I was surprised to see how far away the ridgeline was. I used the 83% rule.

Now I'm wondering: do shorter hammocks need a longer structural ridgeline? Or what is the reason for constructing a hammock that way?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Apples and Potatos. The Clark and the Switchbacks are using non Structual ridge lines. They are there to hold up the net but do not set the sag of the hammock the way a structural one would. Both have the same name but not quite the same function. The Structural RL's keeping the net up is a secondary function.

Play with diffrent lengths the 83% is just a base line point to get started but not a set in stone rule. The "Feel" is what metters more than the acctual lenght.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm aware that the hammocks I listed don't have a structural ridgeline. But on the pictures they look like if they *had* a structural ridgeline, it would be a lot longer than the 83% I tested.

I also know that 83% is not set in stone, but for the 10' and 11' hammocks I tried different lengths, and I found that 83% pretty much offered the most comfortable hang to me. I have not yet been able to test different ridgeline lengths for shorter hammocks.

It seems to me (from the pictures) that most shorter hammocks seem to be using less sag. Hence my question if shorter hammocks maybe need more than the 83% ridgeline length as a rule of thumb. I was hoping other people had more experience, but maybe few are using short hammocks at a time where 11' hammocks are all the rage.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    not that I am a pro or anything, but I tinkered with my eno dn and switchback, when bug net is removed(2qzq mod), with ridgelines. I agree about having a lower pitch seems required. once you do that and larkshead a RL to the suspension it is very low once sitting and laying down in hammock. what I figured was I needed to attach the RL to the (what I use as) descender(drip ring and connection point to swap out suspensions) ring that connects the continuous loop/dogbone to the whoopee sling, or cinch buckle(careful for no twisting it) for straps. I have only played in doors during this long winter(I am in northern Ontario Canada). I don't worry about water running across it because the actual loop/dogbone still is lower(angle) so water is still more likely to travel that way.
    I have found that with short hammocks, more eno than switchback that the width becomes more important for a flatter position. I don't have a specific % of length vs hammock but I think it is around low 90s for length.(because the RL extends beyond actual length of hammock to connect.

• + New Posts