Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Spyderline Cordage ordering question

This has been gone over before I'm sure. I wanted to order some Spyderline cord from Annapolis Performance Sailing. When I go to order, it asks me to order by quantity. Well, what quantity is it measured by?

Is it sold by the inch, by the yard, by the foot? How is it measured?

Thanks.

By the foot.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great. Thanks. I've emailed them directly, but haven't heard back from them. I appreciate it.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Great. Thanks. I've emailed them directly, but haven't heard back from them. I appreciate it.
    You'll hear back soon. I had a really good customer service experience with them.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yep, you're right. I did hear back not long after I wrote that. Great service so far.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    This has been gone over before I'm sure. I wanted to order some Spyderline cord from Annapolis Performance Sailing. When I go to order, it asks me to order by quantity. Well, what quantity is it measured by?

Is it sold by the inch, by the yard, by the foot? How is it measured?

Thanks.
    FWIW, I found Spyderline on West Marine's site. Unless I'm not reading things correctly, it seem that their 3.8 is twenty cents less per foot than APS. They also sell it by the roll (50 ft) for $22.99 as well as by the foot. I live in MD and there is a West Marine within 20 minutes from my house. Seems like the roll is a good deal if you can use 50 feet. It is available in purple or lime in the 3.8 size.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    It is available in purple or lime in the 3.8 size.
    That must be why it's cheaper But, I guess it's worth the savings if you needed enough.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 06-17-2007 at 16:37.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    I noticed this Spyderline is rated in "tensile" strength. Starting at 350 lbs for 3/32 up tp 2500 for 3/16. I'm not sure exactly how that (tensile) would relate to a "working load". Which size would you guys use for hanging a hammock? Or, which would be the equiv of HH UL Explorer Spectra, which I believe TH rates at 1600 lbs? IOW, would their 1900 lb 5/32 exceed the Hennessy cord rating, as it appears to do? ( If the rating method is the same?)
    Bill

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I noticed this Spyderline is rated in "tensile" strength. Starting at 350 lbs for 3/32 up tp 2500 for 3/16. I'm not sure exactly how that (tensile) would relate to a "working load". Which size would you guys use for hanging a hammock? Or, which would be the equiv of HH UL Explorer Spectra, which I believe TH rates at 1600 lbs? IOW, would their 1900 lb 5/32 exceed the Hennessy cord rating, as it appears to do? ( If the rating method is the same?)
    Bill
    I can't speak to the specifics of 'tensile strength' vs 'working load', but I'm currently using the 5/32" on my HH with a CC buckle setup, and it works great. Pics here.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hi. I found this on Rope Inc's website: (http://www.ropeinc.com/ropetensilestrength.html): "Tensile strength is the average strength of new rope under laboratory conditions. This is determined by wrapping the rope around two large diameter capstans and slowly tensioning the line until it breaks. The manufacturer's recommended working load is determined by taking the tensile strength and dividing it by a factor that more accurately reflects the maximum load that should be applied to a given rope to assure a comfortable safety margin and longevity of the line. Of course that factor varies with the type of fiber and the weaving construction. There are however always exceptions, most notably the fact that rope is susceptible to degradation and damage in numerous ways that are not controllable by the manufacturer."

"...the working load for most kinds of rope is between 15% and 25% of the tensile strength. Now consider the fact that any time you tie a knot in a rope you effectively cut the tensile strength in half. The knot when tensioned cuts the line. While certain kinds of knots damage the line less than others, the 50% loss of tensile strength is a good general rule to live by. Research has shown that the figure 8 knot reduces the tensile strength by approximately 35% instead of 50% for other common knots tested."
    He who sits alone, sleeps alone, and walks alone, who is strenuous and subdues himself alone, will find delight in the solitude of the forest.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast