Newb' from MD... seeking some advice

Hey guys & gals! I'm currently living in MD, and anxiously moving to TN soon. I've done only a few backpacking adventures with some friends, but we plan to do much more this spring and summer. I recently decided I had liked all of the great things I've read about hammocks, compared to tents, and decided to pull the trigger. I've recently purchased a WBBB 1.1 DL (with webbing/buckle suspension), and my JRB 10'x11' tarp just arrived today. I must say, I'm absolutely blown out of the water with the level of customer service in which I've received from both Jacks R' Better, and WarBonnet Outdoors (Brandon); absolutely amazing.

So, being new to hammocks, I'd love to obtain any and all advice from the experienced pros (anyone and everyone)! I'm trying to learn more about setting up my tarp and need to advice on materials, and recommendations on what knots to use.

Here's a list of what I have:

-WBBB (webbing/buckles)
    -JRB 10'x11'
    -(2) Dutch Stingers
    -(2) Carabiners
    -Paracord (including 100' reflective paracord)

Now, I purchased the reflective paracord, thinking it'd be a good, cost-effective idea for guy lines. I figured I'd use standard paracord for a ridgeline. The more I am reading throughout this forum, the more I am realizing paracord is probably not a good idea [for guy lines nor a ridgeline], due to paracord stretching, and not repelling water.

I like the thought of using the 'Baker Hut' with the tarp, but I'm sure I will also use the standard A-Frame style.

So, my questions are:

1) What would be the best bang for the buck' for guy lines? -- Please include material, best place to purchase, etc.

2) What would be the best bang for the buck' for my ridgeline setup? -- Please include which material and the best place to purchase

and 3) What knot/s should I use for tying these? -- Please include diagrams or links to videos where I can learn these knots

I greatly appreciate all responses, in advance, and I am stoked to get started in this new setup. Please don't tell me to "search/browse the threads." I've been doing so already, and will continue to do so, but I'd love to have advice based on my exact setup, and advice for me being new to all of this. I will continue to watch Shug's, Raul Perez's, and several other's YouTube videos to try and obtain as much knowledge possible with hammocks.

Thanks again, for all the help! =)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Stingerz are designed for use with 1.75 mm Zing-It. You can get 180 feet for about $25 from:

http://www.reddenmarine.com/samson-r...FUuXOgodcS4Aeg

I use it for my guylines and ridgeline.

Stay away from paracord for your ridgeline - it will wick water.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    ENO Reactor
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I use the single line tarp ridgline from whoopieslings.com about $24 I believe. It's a nice quick setup with prusiks for adjusting the tention/position of your tarp.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Not sure where you are in maryland--I'm in Gaithersburg.
    I always extend the offer that you can come over and try out some gear. i have most of the methods of suspension and tie-outs and you can get a pretty good feel for them.

Wether you pick up a spool of 1.75 ZingIt or LashIt, or go for one of the prebuilt sets from whoopieslings.com, dutch, AHE and just about everone else out there in cottage vender land, you can't go wrong.

I prefer the ZingIt and DIY route--it really isn't that hard , and it is great to be able to whip up any kind of fixed eye, closed loop, whoopie you want.

PM me if interested, otherwise start reading up.
    Be sure to check out the Ultimate Hang by Derek Hansen - $4 kindle can't be beat. It will really get you started with a good base of knowledge of things hammock. His drawings of set ups and ridgelines are fantastic--you have probably already seen a few of them here.

good luck and have fun,
    Jason

Thanks so much for the responses so far. I've already placed an order for The Ultimate Hang, and plan on purchasing the Zing-It today, since it seems to be my best bet.

Now, the Zing-it will be good for my ridgeline, and guy lines, right? I just thought it would be best having some sort of reflective guy lines, so no one trips over them. I guess the yellow will be good enough though.

Does anyone have any experience with the attaching shock cord to their guy lines? I'm thinking about trying to do this; what brand/size shock cord is best for this?

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar1616 View Post
    Thanks so much for the responses so far. I've already placed an order for The Ultimate Hang, and plan on purchasing the Zing-It today, since it seems to be my best bet.

Now, the Zing-it will be good for my ridgeline, and guy lines, right? I just thought it would be best having some sort of reflective guy lines, so no one trips over them. I guess the yellow will be good enough though.

Does anyone have any experience with the attaching shock cord to their guy lines? I'm thinking about trying to do this; what brand/size shock cord is best for this?
    Yep. Good for ridgelines and guylines on your tarp.
    you can always tie a small loop of that reflective paracord onto your guylnes or your tent/tarp stakes - if need be.

I larkshead a 3" loop of shockcord to each tarp pullout. Sometimes to the tarp ridgelines as well. Then, attach the guylines to those loops.

Lots of other ways to do that - helps keep those coated nylon and silnylon tarps taut.

Send a PM when you're settled in TN. Lots o great hikes and hang spots round here.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Would I be better off ordering from DutchWareGear.com? What is a good length of Zing-It to purchase, for now? 100' or should I get less?

I was thinking 100' of Zing-It, and 25' 3/32" Shock Cord.

Would this be a safe-bet for getting me started with my tarp ridge line/s and guy lines?

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Welcome from Hagerstown. You can never go wrong ordering from Dutch. I would order a minimum of 100'. Once you get it you will most likely start experimenting and realize you need/want more. Save the shipping cost by ordering a bunch 1 time.

Thanks Nhott, I just placed my order: 100' of Zing-it, and 25' of 3/32" shock cord. This should complete everything I need for my setup thus far.

Now, the waiting game! I'm very anxious to start hanging.
    Last edited by Guitar1616; 03-07-2014 at 22:03.

• + New Posts