Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

I need Filled UQ and TQ pointers.

My last attempt at a baffle was 2 years ago, and I nearly threw the thread injector out of a 2nd floor window in anger. Baffles are NOT my strong suit. And I'm not an overly patient man.

But I've got a pound of 900 FP down sitting in my work room that a friend bought to put in a pair (TQ and UQ) of underquilts.com shells, but with what is going on with Dave from Underquilts.com, I have been asked to do my best to make a pair of shells in the next week.

I've been searching the site high and low, reading all I can, trying to prep myself for this nightmarish (in my eyes) task.

I found these TQ plans, and I've yet to narrow down UQ plans (looking for something Foyle sized). I have finished off a few of dave's quilts in the past, once I hit the stuffing stage, I'm in familiar water, but before that is where I'm baffled

Any tips, pointers, or words of wisdom to pass on before I put scissor to fabric? Any walkthroughs, or guides for a dead on Foyle sized UQ? ( the down was purchased with size and baffles of the foyle in mind)

Thanks!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Hi hk,

I put together a few pictures from the UQ I built. I used curved baffles for mine but there is no reason you couldn't use straight ones. That would be much easier now, since you can by the baffle material pre cut from dutch.

I think the best piece of advice I can give you is to really take the time to plan the quilt out. Lots or drawings or even Sketchup pictures if you are so inclined. I'm also a fan of marking out all the lines on the fabric, cuts down on the oooops moments. It really makes the assembly much easier.
    Look up Doogie's nice tutorial as well--he does a better job of explaining things and takes nicer pictures than I do - plus he has a great technique for the corners of the shell.
    So study a few of the threads, make a few drawings, play with catsplat's calculator and sew away

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=59179
    Last edited by jwright; 03-07-2014 at 18:23. Reason: forgot link

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    I'm also a fan of marking out all the lines on the fabric, cuts down on the oooops moments. It really makes the assembly much easier.
    This. No joke.

Also make sure to mark which side is towards the hammock and which side is away from the hammock, as well as the head and foot ends on each.

Measure twice and cut once, as well.

Other than that, stop your baffles ~1" beyond your seam allowance. This will prevent them from being caught in your edges, and will make things so much easier.

Anything else, well, there are definitely others who've described how to do a quilt better than I could.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    This. No joke.

Also make sure to mark which side is towards the hammock and which side is away from the hammock, as well as the head and foot ends on each.

Measure twice and cut once, as well.

Other than that, stop your baffles ~1" beyond your seam allowance. This will prevent them from being caught in your edges, and will make things so much easier.

Anything else, well, there are definitely others who've described how to do a quilt better than I could.

Hope it helps!
    +1 on all the above. When it comes time for the baffles this thread might help. You might also see a familiar piece of gear!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=baffles

Good luck!

• + New Posts