WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings

Why Do You Post Less

There was a recent thread about this, that was closed before i had stated my reasons for less posting. i guess it got a little too heated. Personally, I came to this site after a 9 day trip through the Grand Canyon. Sleeping on the ground about did me in. I saw a post on a backpacking site that has a Warbonnet hammock. I went to the Warbonnet site and saw Shug for the 1st time. It was intriguing. It peaked my interest due to my recent issues sleeping on hard ground for 9 nights. I began a quest of learning and acquiring everything hammock related which played right into my obsessive tendencies. I put it to good use for the next 4 years on subsequent rafting trips until I felt like I had reached the level of comfort I was seeking. Now I stop in on occasion to see what is new, but don't see all the day to day rhetoric and wash't aware that some of the mods were replaced.

That's my story and i suspect there are a few others in the same situation.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Forum relationships are like having a girlfriend. When it is new, everything is hot and heavy. After a while it levels out and then trails off...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I think part of it is that as you progress in this hobby (life style, obsession, addiction etc) you get better and better at it, and your gear gets better and better, to the point where there isnt this desperate need to get advice about everything. I noticed a shift in my DIY projects last year---I still DIY, but I'm to the point where if I dont get the project done until a month or two, its ok because I have a very nice set up just as it is. Maybe its a bit of a personality thing too-------I dont feel the need to share my opinion about everything, with every one. (but to be honest , thats not always true, and I look at the forums several times a day! )
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It seems to me that life keeps getting busier and busier, leaving less free time. The pace of life has quickened over my 6+ decades (or maybe I'm just getting slower). I was completely off the forum for a few months last year, because I simply couldn't keep up with everything. In my case, I was working and then sleeping so that I could go to work again. I finally realized how bad it had gotten and put a stop to it. Now I make time to be on the forum because that's where many of my friends are, and we always need to make time for our friends.

I'm going hiking next weekend with some of those friends.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Yes, DuctTape. Yes, stevebo. Yes MAD777.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Well I guess I don't post that much when it comes down to it. Like Stevebo, I don't share that much, but sometimes I can add my thoughts when I know I have the knowledge to share. Miss seeing some people that used to post regularly and miss gaining their wisdom and innovations. I really appreciate when others light bulbs go off and they share that with us. Have learned some fascinating tricks from this place and met some mighty fine people!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    While I sleep in a hammock each and every night I really don't think anyone wants a field report on it. Last month when I swapped from Carabiner to Soft shackle to, D'oth! a HOOK in the wall instead of an eyebolt, I shared then.

Once you get up to speed on the aspects you will use there really is not much to post about. But when something changes or there is a new discovery, a better Turtledog stand, there will be a string of posts.

Other then that it is lead the newbies and watch as they become the leaders.

Always up for a Hickory Brothers rompin about video.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I think there is a curve, much like the Bell Curve. New, we post a few tentative posts to see what response we get. If members of the forum are friendly we post frequently until we learn what we want. At the point where we have learned what we need most posters move on to a different site and start the cycle over again. Some members choose to stay and share information they have learned with the new comers. Some people leave because too much is expected from them. Other people leave because they become bored. Yet others leave because they do not like change or new ideas. Growth and change are necessary for these forums to grow and keep their interest.

I have posted on here off and on for 6 or 7 years. I like this site because first and foremost people are for the most part polite to each other. Not totally locked into a group think. Kind of something for everyone, always something new to learn or think about. I in particular I like things written by engineers, I really enjoy how they tested something, the procedure they used and the conclusion they drew from their testing. Not everyone finds that sort of information interesting, I do. I really like the idea of diversity.

I am posting a lot more right now, because I stopped posting on a forum where lives depended on information that was posted. I really appreciate that we do not deal with anything heavier than being careful where we hang (falling trees or tree limbs). I appreciate information as to how not to do a "flip" over your hammock, sounds funny, but if you are over 25, not funny at all.

All organizations have people that come and learn and move on, a few people that stay and keep things on tract and help the new members learn how to be successful. Kind of the old "Takers and Givers" concept. I like the take what you need and give back to the group.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I'm working again after recuperating from injuries/surgery so that cuts down on my free time.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    As many reasons as there are people why we drift from recreation to recreation and join up with whatever group is enjoying it most online or in person. Many of us seem to always return to those activities that brought us the most joy and good memories from our youth. Outdoors, night sky, hiking, canoeing, sailing, rock climbing, hunting, fishing. Hammocks are just what i happened to sleep in as a kid because the natives would have thought i was insane if i slept on the ground like a dog. The shaman would have blown smoke over me to drive out the evil spirit. (Amazon Rain Forest).
    Back on topic: i will post less when i am bored with this site, and have nothing to contribute.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 03-08-2014 at 13:10. Reason: back on topic, opps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast