Hammock
    Homemade 5 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    The Arc
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hammock sock questions

Hi there,
    So I'm making my own hammock shelter at the moment, which for the moment I'll call a hammock sock. My own model is made of Silnylon in order to keep the rain off, but as you know the stuff doesn't really breathe. I intend to add two vents in the thing, one by the head, one by the feet. Anyone got any ideas how big to make them? this is a single person sock about 8 feet long, pretty standard.

A second question to anyone who has used anything like these in the past...

Where do you put your boots? Other equipment?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It would be nice if you designed the vent holes such that you could grab a cord and cinch them more closed or open them up a bit as conditions change. You won't be locked in to a particular size.

As to boots, I would either put them in a ridgeline bag, or put the bag in the bottom of the sock (that would give the sock more stability).

Just a side note; you may want to wear your raingear to bed if you use silnylon.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Watching this thread with interest. My issue is this...... I raft & kayak desert rivers in Utah that often don't have trees. I'm buying a Handy Hammock Stand to solve that problem. It works best with a 10 ft. hammock, so my TL will fit great. Now for the weather protection issue. My smallest tarp is a WL Big Daddy, so too long. Dejoha has used the HHS and says it's best not to attach a tarp to the stand, as it flexes a little and doesn't keep the tarp taut. So I was wondering about a smaller simple tarp/sock idea. Or maybe a mini tarp??? All my gear lives in dry bags, so that's not a problem.

I'll be watching to see how this idea plays out.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Look at the tent vents and designs. I like the "brow" vents that have a cover over the vent for weather protection and a cinch lock cord inside. Consider making a very breathable large panel at the head end and creating a waterproof cover on the outside of that moisture evacuation panel. A short tent pole to keep it open could do wonders.

My warbonnet sock is roomy enough I can place my Ikea shopping bag in the bottom, boots go inside.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    In my opinion, permanent, always open venting is needed if you are going to enclose yourself in silnylon. My mother taught me not to put my head in a plastic bag.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I've found even ripstop gets soggy and have gotten rid of the socks in favor of a simple cover that's suspended under the ridge line. The cover can either be left hanging, or just dropped down on top of me. Covers are fleece in the colder seasons and 1.1 ripstop for summer. Very noticeable difference in warmth in the wee hours of the morning when mountain cold air descends.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    One of the guys at Zpacks was experimenting with a sock/tarp deal. It would open up on one side like porch mode but had great protection on the windward side. Did he call it a zephyr or some such thing?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Homemade 5 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    The Arc
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    One of the guys at Zpacks was experimenting with a sock/tarp deal. It would open up on one side like porch mode but had great protection on the windward side. Did he call it a zephyr or some such thing?

0.0 that sounds an awful lot like my design. If you've seen this somewhere, please post a link

In the meantime, I greatly appreciate all the feedback. I'm having difficulty finding good examples of either cinch vents or good design specs for the vestibule vents. Anyone got any good links? Thanks!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    also invest in a good scuba rig, your gonna need it! but all jokes aside sil isnt a good hammock sock material, you may want to look into wp/b fabrics

Hammock
    Homemade 5 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    The Arc
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    yyyyeah, condensation was definitely a concern. For now, I'm hoping adequate ventilation will avert some of the issues, as i've kinda sorta... already made the thing We'll see how that part of it goes. On the bright side, the design will open way up and still remain dry for when it gets hot or muggy out.
    @gmc CO2 buildup was also a concern, if the vents were to become blocked while you slept or whatever. For what it's worth it turns out that if you fall asleep in a CO2 rich environment, or one that gets to be that way, you will wake up with a sort of panic reaction every time. seems they use the technique to wake unconscious people sometimes even

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast