Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Still figuring it
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images

DL hammock with a fleece throw or PL instead of a pad

I'm planning ahead for a backpacking trip to the Smokys in June and to some general Spring, Summer, and Fall camping. Being new to hammocks, I didn't realize at first that when the temperature drops below a certain point, it gets a little chilly. Once I realized that, I've been working on figuring out how to provide the insulation needed for nights that get down to 50° (usually warmer). I'm thinking along the lines of something inexpensive.

So, I was wondering if something other than a pad between the layers of a DL hammock would work for those temps, something like a fleece throw or a poncho liner. I've read some of the threads about insulated hammocks and Hiknhanger's Magna Hammock. But, I'm wondering if something simpler like putting one of these items like a blanket between the layers of a DL would work. Would it need something extra to hold it in place? Would it provide the insulation necessary for mid-50° temps?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Any insulation you can fit between the layers of a hammock should help. You might have to pin a blanket on the ends, to keep it from bunching up. Fleece, sleeping pads, and wool blankets don't compress much, so they are fine in the hammock with you, or between layers of a double.

Any insulation which compresses should be suspended on the outside of the hammock. I don't have a poncho liner, but they look like they would compress under your weight. Get some elastic cord or webbing and hang fluffy insulation on the outside.

Test hang to see how much insulation you need to be comfy in 50 degree weather.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you already have a poncho liner, it only takes 2 minutes to make the no-sew version of the pluq. That should take you to 50 with appropriate top insulation.

• + New Posts