View Poll Results: Did you study before you bought?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • I studied HF like some kind of junkie before I bought

70 49.65%
  • I took the chance and made a purchase

55 39.01%
  • I did what REI told me to do

1 0.71%
  • Figured I’d buy one of everything and see what I like

1 0.71%
  • I’m still trying to decide what to get

14 9.93%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Tarp
    YMG Cirriform
    Insulation
    NeoAir XLite
    First off, My name is Josh and I'm a gear-junkie...

*waves at group*

I can't even remember how I came across it, but I was just searching around for camping gear (not hammocks in particular) and came across some photos of some people hammock camping. I was very intrigued by the idea... I like the idea that your 'hang' is virtually always the same no matter where you are. It always seems like every time you pitch a tent its always different due to roots, hills, depressions, leaves, sticks, sand, etc... but with a hammock none of that stuff really matters as you're off the ground. Also I'm just a 'like my own space' kinda person, so the ability to pitch my own personal 'nest' away from the group [if I feel the need] away from snorers, tent-space hogger's, etc is pretty appealing to me. Also the pretty huge weight savings when compared to tents is pretty impressive as I'm hoping to continually go more lightweight with my gear.

Admittedly I was/am pretty nervous about the idea of sleeping in a hammock. I'm a pretty finicky sleeper, always sleeping on my stomach or side. I can probably count the times I've slept on my back on one hand... I just don't find sleeping on my back comfortable at all. I can't sleep in cars or on airplanes, I can [usually] only sleep on a flat surface, on my side or stomach... So that was issue #1, issue #2 is that I'm 6'4" and 200lbs and most gear in generally isn't made to accommodate people of my Paul Bunyan stature... (unless explicitly made in Large or Long sizes) I've done *a lot* of reading and *a lot* of research over the past couple weeks and have found people of my size that have reported sleeping comfortably in all the different hammocks I've looked at (HH, WB, JRB, Speer) so I do have hope. But I read a comment on here saying that "hammocks are like shoes, what works for one person might not for another..." so I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was still a bit nervous...

I looked a lot of hammocks (HH, WB, JRB, Speer) but in the end, I placed my order for a Jacks 'R' Better Bear Mountain Bridge hammock yesterday! I really like the idea of a bridge hammock, I think it will give me the best shot at a true lay-flat hammock. I'm sure others might be able to do the same, but this seems to be my safest bet to start with. I hope to try a couple of other hammocks and see how they feel but I've already have a couple great ideas to improve the JRB BMB hammock to give me the features that it lacks (just creature comfort, ease of use stuff) that I desire from the other big name hammocks. (I'm a big DIY guy). I'm just hoping [praying] that I'll fit comfortably (height/length wise). Again, I've got lots of hope...

Anyways, I should have my JRB BMB hammock early next week (great customer service by the way, answered a lot of questions I had via e-mail, thanks again guys!), I'll make sure to inspect it and do a couple of trials setting it up and laying in it so I can get comfortable with the setup/tear down of it. Then I leave next week, the 18th of June to the BWCA for a short 4 day trip where I hope to hang for the first time and make my camp-mates very jealous. I'll make sure to take lots of pics and post a trip report

p.s. I should note that I also picked up an ID 8'x10' Silnylon tarp to go with my JRB BMB hammock, I'll more than likely be upgrading that in the future if this hammock thing works out for me, but in the mean time I think it'll do plus it will double at a tarp tent if I need to setup a bivy on the ground if it doesn't

Thank you hammockforums.net for your wealth of knowledge which I feel I've only started to scratch the surface of...

Hammock
    Byer Moskito or Parrot Bay
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Home made
    Images
    I checked the first option in the poll, because I did read around here quite a bit.

But,

I went out and bought a Byer Moskito because it was about the cheapest option I could find.

So I also took a chance and I still haven't bought what will be my final choice for a back packing hammock.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    I was in between studying like a junkie and picking one and going with it. also cost was a factor. i got a HH scout from ebay pretty cheap so was sold( only needed a scout cause i'm a short guy). I'm pretty happy with it. dying for a BB but I don't want my wife to make me meet my maker in it so i'm buying time until i can buy the BB.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ref103 View Post
    dying for a BB but I don't want my wife to make me meet my maker in it so i'm buying time until i can buy the BB.
    Just do what the rest of us do, have it sent to the office or a PO Box. Then you can sneak it in when she isn't looking.

I just think it's pretty darn cool that when we count the 'still trying to decide' folks, more than 60% of the people responding to this poll came here before they bought their hammock.

Behold the power of the Forums.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe, SWT
    Insulation
    Te-wa TQ+UQ, MW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Hammock research

Did mine online, but not hammock forums

Hammock
    Clark NX200
    Tarp
    Clark RX200
    Insulation
    in process
    Suspension
    Bone stock Clark
    Seconds after finishing placing my order with Clark, I found this forum. I have been reading rabidly and bending my wife's ear with painful frequency on the new and interesting things I am learning here. I am waiting for my Clark NX200 to arrive, they just billed my credit card today.

Prior, I had been lusting after the Clark design, put off by Hennessy's website, aware that Eureka is making one now, aware of the GI and a cheap immitation GI, but otherwise almost completely out of the know. Circumstances and dollars lined up and I placed my order, looking for more info on what I just bought, I found here.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    I always thought that hammocks were for the backyard or gear not for camping. Untill I went into my local outfitters shop.They had/have an ENO singal hanging up. Hmm? Their poster looked to me like they were camping in a "bear bag". It was'nt untill about my 3rd or 4th visit that the dim little light came on. Oh! dah I get it now. A new piece of gear. So I bought one. A new toy to go into my camping stuff. And there it sat and sat wanting for a chance to use it. Untill last year when I went on a over nighter with my scout troop. The other leaders though I was nuts. (After all we are hanging from the trees)
    It was a "what if" and "lets see" kind of thing.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I voted, "took the chance and made the purchase", but I guess that's not entirely accurate.

I did my research online for the different available brands, but I didn't know this forum existed at that time. It wasn't until after I had bought the Clark in 2005-06, that I found this place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456