View Poll Results: Did you study before you bought?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • I studied HF like some kind of junkie before I bought

70 49.65%
  • I took the chance and made a purchase

55 39.01%
  • I did what REI told me to do

1 0.71%
  • Figured I’d buy one of everything and see what I like

1 0.71%
  • I’m still trying to decide what to get

14 9.93%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

A question for the new hangers

This post got me thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    I can say with out a doubt I wish that when I had ordered my first of 3 Clarks there was so much input about those same questions that have been brought up and the reviews that have been done on so many different brands lately and all the video's showing off all the different brands makes and models over the last year. When I posted the first video on here I would have never thought that it would have transpired to what Ultimately has become a wealth of information for experienced hangers or beginners I am constantly amazed at what people do on here and for that I am glad to be a part of.
    So I wonder, how many folks did their research before buying a hammock? cavediver2 is absolutely correct in that there is so little out there about hammock camping and soooooo many choices these days that it's bound to be confusing. The last year there seems to have been an explosion of growth here on HF and the number of reviews, opinions, and videos. Enough to make my head spin sometimes. So, did you make use of all the info? I'm not talking about a $20 or $30 hammock that you bought just to see if it was even a consideration. I'm talking about spending your money on what you think (at the time ) will be your full-time camper.

Did you do your research here on HF, elsewhere, or not at all?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    So I wonder, how many folks did their research before buying a hammock?
    hey I used to be a new hanger!

When I started HF had been in full swing for over a year, but I don't recall it playing a big role in my buy decision. Not sure really when I tripped across it. I was all over the HH site and lots of reviews of people that had them, I was all over the Clark site...fewer reviews available there and lots of questions...I hit JustJeff's site, Risk's site...then HH had a 1/2 price sale going and I jumped on it. I was buying for three of us you see. That more than anything steered me away from the Clarks.

It is true that there seems to be a lot of information out now. Maybe some of it was there when I jumped in, but I didn't happen upon it.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I voted "took a chance" but that is because HF didn't exist when I bought my first HH. I did research the HH website. Does that count? lol
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes Grizz, you're right; I unintentionally left out us former-new hangers. I think you and I started around the same time period and I agree that the amount of information available to us, even here on HF, was nowhere near as abundant as it is now.

I think I'm a little jealous of the folks just getting started. They seem to have an unfair advantage. The question is, do they take advantage of it or do they just go ahead and order a Blackbird and be done.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I did research the HH website. Does that count? lol
    Reading is reading. Just Jeff, Risk, and HF were my only options other than vendor sites. But I admit to buying my first HH from Coffee mostly because the HH site sold me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Granted, it's been a while, but for me it was totally impulse.

I was helping to set up for an REI Scratch and Dent Sale after closing on a Friday night. I had a handful of "Brentwood Bucks", paper slips employees earn as attaboys, and could use them to buy a pair of shoes and one other item.

And I found a Hennessy Hammock, perfect shape, slightly used. I said "hmmm", bought it, and the rest is history. Hanging is always easier when your first hammock is free.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    When I was looking for a replacement camping hammock after my very last ever miserable tent experience, I read a lot of posts here on HF. I just lurked and lurked for months, reading everything. I made my own hammock while I lurked, and I still like the hammock but laugh at how simple it was compared to what I own now. I didn't find a lot of info on Clark hammocks at the time, but went and bought one anyway based on the marketing of the Clark website, the personal communications from their representatives, and from one particular member here. There was lots of info on Hennessey hammocks and Speer hammocks and even Warbonnet El Dorado threads, but very little on Clark. I had already owned a Hennessey and discarded it several years back due, so I ignored Hennessey threads. But Matahari (May the pebbles have been counted in her favor, and the winds be at her back) convinced me in her posts about the Clark NA. I still love my Clark, but this site has definitely made me more interested in the quality of my gear, even if I don't get to use it as often as I like, and has turned me into a full-blown hammock junkie.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Reading is reading. Just Jeff, Risk, and HF were my only options other than vendor sites. But I admit to buying my first HH from Coffee mostly because the HH site sold me.
    yea, but back in the oldn days, HH website still recommended a windshield reflector (no pad or uq) and a winter system didn't even exist (I still remember reading about the 'possibilities' of winter hanging)!
    BTW, i musta not read very well back then cause my first hang was MISERABLE = froze my arse off
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    I did piles of research here and elsewhere. My first hammock, actually, was a gift. My mom bought an ENO Single NEst at the local outfitters. It is a good hammock, but that didn't stop my research. Have now added a BB to the arsenal, and am still looking at other models. All have their good and bad points.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Well like most purchase I make I studied here and every were else I could find information. Day and night my obsessive thoughts were drawn to what to do. I read reviews watched every hammock youtube and laid in the one hammock that is set up at a store within 100 miles -a HH. In the end even though I still had my reservations (and still kind of do) I ended up buying a HH. Several things ended up pushing that choice. 1 - cost, I was able to use my 20% REI anniversary discount. 2 - The HH is a package deal, hammock, suspension, and a tarp (yes a limited size) but a tarp none the less all together for a very low price. Now that I have played with it some and read even more here I kind of regret not going the deluxe way and picking up a Warbonnet and just saving to get a tarp. Like most gear purchases there is alway that next thing just on the horizon, the lighter, better, thing that is just past the next pay check.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast