Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    This idea reminds me of the HH Super Shelter Sil-nyl under cover. Unlike rain falling from high in the sky and striking a sil-nyl tarp, rain blowing in from the ends or under the tarp sides is seldom at such a velocity, I am guessing. So I have never so far had anything at all get through. Of course, it does not cover the top, but still allows the use of a smaller tarp IMO. Add in the slightly water resistant top cover, and you have a pretty secure system against wind and wind driven rain and snow.

There is no concern of the fabric wetting thru and soaking your quilt. Of course, with the sil-nylon UC, you must take precautions against condensation soaking your quilt, i.e. a Heat Sheet or plain vapor barrier.

Spinnaker fabric would be good indeed. The top of the sock would be clipped to the ridgerest. But that would not prevent contact on the side at the widest of the hammock.

I guess I will try but it will take some time before I gather time and material. And then there is this complication that I don't have a sewing machine ... I must prepare myself for very long nights ...

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I don't know if you can tape seams with spinnaker the way you can with cuben, but if so - that's definitely the way to go with no sewing machine.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I like the idea! I am Not giving up my HUGE tarp, but I see that as a great weight saving idea. Perhaps a 2nd ridge line / suspente for the poncho / tarp, As it would not need to hold much weight it could be a very light cord. Perhaps with two Prusuk (sic) knots to hold the poncho in place on the line?
    The upper part of my sock is breathable, so i would need to start over, but I like this. And if done right, you still would have a dry area to stand if need be, just don't pull the sock down too far if it's raining.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12