Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hammock socks for rain protection also?

Hi everyone,

new here and still a ground dweller but investigating how to go up without too much extra weight or bulk.

I have read about the socks on the forum and here http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html .

Should be lightweight and apparently for spring and summer hiking might compensate part of the temp loss compared to ground dwelling.

Another "problem" of hammock is requiring, ideally, a larger tarp. I thought that using DRW silnylon but inserting a reasonable surface of mesh in the upper part (head level) would allow to have it closed without too much condensation. A small tarp (actually the poncho) would go above that section, with generous margins, to protect that part from rain and to create a dry spot when not in the hammock.

What do you reckon? Feasible? Nut?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Your idea sounds good in theory. You should build one and see how it works

You may save weight by just going with a larger tarp instead of a small tarp/sock combo, but I don't know if weight is a concern.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I'm not a fan of very big tarps; I find them cumbersome to setup, fold, dry ... and then I would loose some of the insulation provided by the sock.

I have a poncho anyway. The sock should be a piece of nylon around 10 feet long and a bit more than 5 wide at the largest. Not heavier than a tarp normally.

Or I could do a very large tarp to goes to the ground like a tent and trap air that way. But that's pushing it I think

EDIT: a mockup (chaussette = sock )

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangonthere View Post
    Hi everyone,

new here and still a ground dweller but investigating how to go up without too much extra weight or bulk.

I have read about the socks on the forum and here http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html .

Should be lightweight and apparently for spring and summer hiking might compensate part of the temp loss compared to ground dwelling.

Another "problem" of hammock is requiring, ideally, a larger tarp. I thought that using DRW silnylon but inserting a reasonable surface of mesh in the upper part (head level) would allow to have it closed without too much condensation. A small tarp (actually the poncho) would go above that section, with generous margins, to protect that part from rain and to create a dry spot when not in the hammock.

What do you reckon? Feasible? Nut?
    absolutely feasible...should work no problem.
    your set-up would lose a 'dry' spot under the large tarp for cooking, socializing, etc but if you can live without that, your good to go
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My concern would be the moisture pass-thru. Once the sock (chaussette) got wet, it's going to be laying against the hammock and making contact. Once that happens, your hammock is going to get moist. After that, your quilt/bag. I think it would work for light rains and drizzles, but in a storm I'd be leery of depending on it to keep me and mine dry.

Agreed with headchange4u, build it - try it- let us know.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My concern would be the moisture pass-thru. Once the sock (chaussette) got wet, it's going to be laying against the hammock and making contact. Once that happens, your hammock is going to get moist. After that, your quilt/bag. I think it would work for light rains and drizzles, but in a storm I'd be leery of depending on it to keep me and mine dry.
    That's a good point. It's like when you're in a tent (not that anyone here will be able to remember way back to then...) and your sleeping bag touches the side wall in a rain storm. You wake with a soaked bag.

Even silnylon reportedly passes water through with a good rain. With a tarp, it's not touching anything and all you get is a bit of spray, usually not enough to cause any problems. If it's touching, I have a feeling the pass-thru could be significant.

Still, well worth a try. Things often function in real life far differently than in theory.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Good points. To avoid contact I would need to hang well on top and also somehow force sides aparts. But then I need a larger and heavier sock. That calls from some thinking through ...

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

poncho in the center?

I use a similar system except the poncho is in the middle. At one end is a Driducks jacket helt on the ridgeline with binderclips. On the other end is a sheet of spinntex held on with binderclips.

The spinntex sheet is my staging area for packing and unpacking. I have rigged it with my bear bag cords as a dining fly.

The Driducks jacket is to wear around camp and in case it is cold on the trail.

Most everything is multi-use and you can stay dry.

However:

If it has been raining for several days and you want to stop slipping and sliding around on muddy trails and crawl into you hammock mid afternoon and read while drinking a hot cuppa then perhaps a larger tarp is a better fit. I use a poncho/fly most of the time, but sometimes I wish I had a larger fly.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    You could always get around the wicking problems associated with sil by trying a material like spinnaker or cuben that are totally waterproof but of course this will cost more money.....on the plus side though it also more lightweight than sil.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    To avoid contact, you could also arrange for the ridge line to pass through the sock and keep the sock well away from any contact on the top. I suppose you could also arrange to have the sock clipped to the ridge line in several places and accomplish the same thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast