Hammock
    Hennessy
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Short person having trouble hanging

HI All - I have been having a heck of a time trying to get my hammock set up high enough that I don't end up with my butt on the ground when I get in. I'm 4"11 & I can't reach high enough on the trees, even with hiking poles, to get my Python straps high enough to where my hammock is at a good height, but I can still get in it. Are there any other vertically challenged hangers out there with some advice? Much appreciated!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I am not really short, but you might try picking trees that are closer together. It takes a much higher reach to hang from trees that are far apart.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I had to solve a couple of problems caused by my height and body build.

The first of which was how to get straps around trees that were bigger than I could hug...

I use one hiking stick and set the loop of the tree strap loosely on the top, stand the stick up against the tree and walk around it, no need to hug the tree now... If you don't use hiking sticks you can use any old branch from the forest floor.

The second one was how to get the straps up high enough, for me it's usually the tarp tree straps. Again the hiking pole comes in handy for an arm extender. Not as easy as using your hands but doable...the pointy end works best!

And yes, the further apart the trees the higher you'd have to go.

You can always use things like nearby logs or rocks to stand on. Just make sure they're not going to roll on you.

I've also been known to find two trees that had a bit of a gully between them, not a big one, just enough that I could hang the hammock and tarp a little lower at the tree end and still have good hanging height in the middle...

Hammock
    Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar
    Try tying a fixed ridge line with paracord or stronger between the suspension connections at ends of hammock. Then pull suspension tight with no sag in suspension lines between trees and hammock but w foot end higher on tree Ridge line will be very tight. If the fixed ridge line is short enough you should still have a comfortable lay without having the tree straps out of reach

Just realized you have a Hennessy. Just try pulling the suspension tight and see how it lays, I do this when I hang on my deck due to short posts

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    are your straps steching?

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am 61 inches tall,I have a heck of a time getting my lines up. I try to find trees that are built up around the bottom, then I stand as tall as possible and reach up. Not very efficient, however I can usually Hang okay. I have pretty much given up on my HH, because I just can not get out of them. I switched to a different brand and it works a lot better for me. I think my HH are just not the right dimensions for my body.

I have been wishing I could find a light collapsible stool or some sort of booster to stand on to get my straps up higher.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    If you can make it to the Raven Cliffs hang in a couple weeks there will be plenty of people on hand to help you solve your problem.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Have you thought about getting a shorter hammock? This would allow you to select trees that are closer together and means that you could hang the suspension lower.

I found that a 10' hammock actually feels nicer to me than an 11' hammock. I assume it has to do with my size (5'4"). Another advantage of a shorter hammock would be, that you would be able to save weight. And could use a smaller tarp etc.

However, I have sometimes had my suspension hung pretty high. I either climb the trees, or use my hiking poles, as The Old Boot does.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Tie your suspension tight. When I was first hanging I was tying my hammock almost straight across, no droop in the lines at all. That might help. A ridge line will work well. Experiment at home and when you get it just right, fix the ridge line. there are a couple of companies that sell adjustable ridge lines. If it isn't hanging right in the woods, you can adjust it in or out.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Thanks all, those are great ideas! I'll be at Raven Cliffs & look forward to seeing everyone.

• + New Posts