Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

stopping water on suspension straps

How are you guys blocking rain/water from seeping down the adjustable webbing suspensions?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The buckle should act as a water break. You could tie a 1' piece of paracord to it as a drip line. Just make sure it's under the tarp.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Most of the time the above will work.
    During heavy, extended downpours, additional measures are likely required.

Tying a scarf, handkerchief or sock between the buckle and hammock will stop most rain water. Try to avoid having anything touch the hammock. I have used clothespins as well.

You want to provide something that will block and redirect the water. Short of that, something that will absorb a lot of water.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    What kind of suspension are you using? If its not cinch buckles, the some of the advice above might be confusing.

Basically, you need something hanging from the webbing or interrupting it between the tree and the end of your hammock that is under the tarp so that rain doesn't fall on it.

If you are using a cinch buckle on the end of your hammock, the buckle should be sufficient as long as its under the tarp. The same would be true if you are using descender rings. If you are using whoopies, you should have something tied to the line to give the water a different path to follow---one that leads to the ground instead of your hammock.

Webbing. Stated in opening post.

Appreciate the feedback and ideas gang!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I think sargevining meant what else in addition to webbing.

Are you tying the webbing directly to the hammock?

See, my newbness puts me. Its going to be whatever gets shipped with my XLC. I spec'd webbing with adjustable buckles, so that's the extent of my knowledge. It appears there may be another layer to this onion I have missed...

Figured I'd be happy with webbing around the tree, and hoping the tree doesn't mind this arrangement either...

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Rain Water down webbing straps

Excuse me plz if i'm being an unhelpful knucklehead, but a few questions may help the experts (not me) to find a solution. Is tag end of WB strap hanging down toward ground after it exits WB buckle, as a wick? How far past buckle does your tarp extend? Does tarp close up a bit with doors or poncho etc on windward side? And obvious question, sorry not trying to insult you, is hammock getting wet, more than a little? I was an engineer for many years so i was trained to ask many questions before venturing a possible solution.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 03-10-2014 at 15:37. Reason: spelling, fixed some of it

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy View Post
    See, my newbness puts me. Its going to be whatever gets shipped with my XLC. I spec'd webbing with adjustable buckles, so that's the extent of my knowledge. It appears there may be another layer to this onion I have missed...

Figured I'd be happy with webbing around the tree, and hoping the tree doesn't mind this arrangement either...
    Webbing/straps and cinch buckles are a great suspension, easy to use.

The cinch buckle will be attached to the hammock with amsteel.

Most rain won't be an issue, heavy rain, it will find it's way down the strap, over the buckle, down the am steel and onto the gathered end. At least that was my experience sleeping outside for the last year.

Other than heavy rain, you are in good shape. When it's heavier, divert the water flow with whatever is handy. Anything that will hang down towards the ground will help.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Excuse me plz if i'm being an unhelpful knucklehead, but a few questions may help the experts (not me) to find a solution. Is tag end of WB strap hanging down toward ground after it exits WB buckle, as a wick? How far past buckle does your tarp extend? Does tarp close up a bit with doors or poncho etc on windward side? And obvious question, sorry not trying to insult you, is hammock getting wet, more than a little? I was an engineer for many years so i was trained to ask many questions before venturing a possible solution.
    The strap at the tag end can hang down if you like. I prefer to run it back up to the tree and thread it through the loop around the tree so that it is out of the way and I don't trip over it. That said, I think I will let it hang down in the next big downpour (might be Thursday here) and see what happens.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast