WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images

Pinhoti Trail, June 5-7, 2009

Friday, June 5, 2009

I stepped off from the US-431 trailhead heading southwest on Friday afternoon. I had planned on hiking this section in March, but bronchitis forced me off at Porter’s Gap. I was now set to make up some or all of the miles I had left behind in March.

I was immediately glad I had chosen to wear lightweight long pants. Summer foliage was out.

But the trail itself was still smooth and largely clear of blowdowns. I enjoyed not only the well-worn trail, clearly marked with blue blazes, but also the many older turkey track blazes of the early Pinhoti.

I made quick time up the mild hills, enjoying the stop at a gorgeous waterfall.

I pushed on, crossing CR-24 and heading on to Friendship Campsite. It was a nice spot where you could tuck away 4 or 5 tents easily. The creek was a clear water source that sang me to sleep quickly in the evening.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Saturday dawned clear and noticeably warmer than the previous overcast day. By the time I had walked just three miles I was sweatier than I had been the previous day, despite the ease of the first mile of travel on an old smooth roadbed.

I continued moving along, enjoying water stops at creeks and streams, and stopping to check out an old truck hull that looked to have been left alongside the trail decades ago.

By the afternoon, the heat was kicking in as I began the 1200 foot climb to the main ridgeline adjoining Cheaha Mountain and State Park. I took my time, stopping for a few moments frequently and cooling off. I was happy to note that despite the heat and climbing, my lungs were doing fine. Still, despite drinking more than a gallon of water already this day, I was pushing sweat out of my body like a hydraulic pump.

When I reached the intersection to the Bald Rock Trail into Cheaha State Park, I knew I was done climbing for the day and close to home.

A ¼ mile later, I dropped my pack at Blue Mountain Shelter.

I headed back down the trail to gather water at the happily flowing spring and returned to set up my hammock near the shelter.

Graffiti and register entries mentioned the shelter was “spooked”, and that strange noises could be heard at night. It was another of many reasons I was glad to camp near the amenities of a shelter, while still enjoying the comfort of my hammock. Dinner was excellent (Chicken and stuffing with gravy) as I enjoyed a pleasant kitchen and dining room.

Due to the higher altitude, the evening cool sank below me and I slept a bit warm in my hammock, but still I enjoyed hearing hickory nuts drop to the ground and squirrels run about and I wondered if these accounted for some of the “spooked” noises as I drifted to sleep.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

This morning I had to make a choice. I had already set up a possible pick-up with my wife (she was staying with her parents who lived just a little over an hour away) at Cheaha State Park. Or I could continue on to Porter’s Gap another 29 miles up the trail.

I stepped off, backtracking up to the Bald Rock Trail to enter the Park. I had already decided to “blue blaze” around the official Pinhoti Trail and walk through Cheaha State Park to see Bald Rock and stand on Cheaha Mountain, Alabama’s high point, which the Pinhoti bypasses. I encountered a rattlesnake in the first few steps, still coiled and resting, which barely seemed to notice me.

I headed up the ridge to Bald Rock. After a rocky climb, I was surprised to see a full boardwalk accessing the level ridgetop.

The view from Bald Rock was one the nicest I have seen any where in the south.

At this point, I decided to call my wife and join her at her parents. I wanted to share this view with her and decided that would bea much more pleasant way to spend the day than hiking the ridgeline in the ever-increasing heat and humidity.

As I headed down from Bald Rock, I also stopped at the firetower on top of Cheaha Mountain. It is very similar to the one on top of Flagg Mountain, the official beginning of the Pinhoti trail 80 miles further southwest. Unlike the Flagg Mountain tower, it was unlocked to provide 360 views.

It is officially recognized as Alabama’s high point.

From there I headed downhill to the camp store, where I grabbed a soda and waited for my ride home.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Loved the report and especially all the pictures. Thanks!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Wonderful trip report!

That looks like a nice section of trail! I need to get over there and hike a bit on the Pinhoti...

Chicken with stuffing and gravy! mmmmm!!! One of my favs! I add a little home dried onion and celery and if I use my imagination, I can picture a holiday dinner!

I sure am glad we've gotten some rain this spring here in the s.e.

Thanks again!

thanks for the trip report Bearpaw. Nice pics also. Another trail that I haven't hiked but have good things about
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Fantastic report. I appreciate your sharing it with us.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer 1.7 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Landau 3/16" pad
    Images
    Nice report Bearpaw. I have to get back maybe next week and start another section. I have to pick up at Porters Gap and head to Cheaha. Great pics, I enjoyed it.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeShazo View Post
    Nice report Bearpaw. I have to get back maybe next week and start another section. I have to pick up at Porters Gap and head to Cheaha. Great pics, I enjoyed it.
    Be sure to check out Cheaha State Park. It's a loop off the Pinhoti, but well worth it.

There's a lake off the park that would be great to swing by before driving home. Swim and shower before driving on home.

Images
    Thanks for the report! This is not all that far from me, I need to check it out.

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    You do the best trip reports Bearpaw, thanks for sharing with everyone. Feel like I was able to make the trip with ya thru the report

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Great report! I have always wanted to hike some on the Pinhoti, now I really want to get out and hike it!!
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast