Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Ok, I tried to order it. There may be an issue where they changed the billing address to the shipping address, and I haven't changed any of my official addresses to admit to being out here in WA. I guess that will determine whether I have yet another hammock.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    The one I bought was as my description stated. Having never had a commercially made one with the exception of a nylon string wallyworld one I had no comparison.
    What Cannibal mentioned about the seam being across your back I've found to be true also. Lying down the middle for a while...hmm.. something bumping my butt.. Line stretched. Got out, retied, got back in again. Lied a little while longer.. *bump*HHMMMmmmm... got out again, retied, got back in. After trying lying down the middle somewhat like the banana position, decided to try the diagonal way. Almost got that right the first couple times, and had the seam across one kidney, and up the back of my head. Not good. Wiggled around more, switched head to foot end, tried to lay the other way. Other kidney, and still seam going the OTHER direction across the back of my head. I think they could have done much, much better had they tossed out the "contrasting color" bit and just made the thing out of one piece of fabric.
    Believe it or not, I actually did get somewhat comfy, and fell asleep for about an hour and twenty minutes. I was lying diagonal, mostly on my side, with one knee up. (think the Captain Morgan pose) That's usually how I sleep in a la-z-boy. I gave up sleeping in a bed for other reasons. Can't sleep totally flat, must have shoulders/upper body raised slightly.
    It would probably be different using a pad to negate the seam problem, I'll have to try that later. Was it worth the $25? I think so because mine will get some use, and then used as a spare when I buy something else. I am still experimenting with my whipped-end DIY model. I only tried it out so far in my bedroom with a stand.
    Of course YMMV, contact your attorney for details, point away from face when opening, etc.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    well, I got mine and in my opinion it won't work too well for anyone over a 100 lbs. or so. It stretches too much, I think Cannibal mentioned this also. I put 'biner, straps and rings on for suspension and strung it up tight. I had it high enough where I had to be on my tippy-toes to get my butt over the edge. When I got in, it stretched down to about 12" off the ground. I put my full weight in it and My butt was 2" off the ground. I stayed in for about five minutes and felt that no matter how I was laying in it, it was just too tight. As someone else said, a pad would definitely help but I think there is just too much sag and I only weigh 190.

My 9 year old got in and he liked it, so I think it might be good for a kids hammock or just for napping but I would feel kind of "hanxious" if I was using it for a trip. Maybe I'll end up using the material for an underquilt or something.
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    Byer Moskito or Parrot Bay
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Home made
    Images
    Well mine just arrived a few minutes ago.

I didn't bother measuring it, but it is definitely larger than my Byer Moskito Traveler.

Here are the 2 of them hanging in my front yard.

I agree with a lot of Cannibal's comments. Here's a photo of the stitching on the seam:

The seam is kind of obnoxious in my quick test.

My son and I are going to try sleeping out in them tonight. I'll use a pad and let you know how it goes.

At this point I still think they are worth $25, but they probably aren't the equivalent of more expensive hammocks.
    Last edited by VaFish; 06-20-2009 at 18:39.

Hammock
    Byer Moskito or Parrot Bay
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Home made
    Images
    My son and I spent Saturday night sleeping in the front yard. (best trees are there) Neighbors already knew I was nuts.

My 13 year old son slept in the Byer and I took the Parrot Bay. My son is now hooked on hammock camping. The Byer is lost to him.

I used a closed cell foam pad and couldn't feel the seams underneath me. I was amazed at how noisy my suburban neighbor hood is on a Saturday evening. Even in our quite Cul-de-sac cars were coming and going until after midnight when I finally drifted off to sleep. I had to make a biological break at 5:00 then went back to sleep until a little after 9:00.

Anyways I don't know how well this cheap hammock will hold up over time. I think you get what you pay for, don't expect the performance of a $200 hammock. But for $25 it makes a great way to try out hammock camping, it would make a great 2nd or 3rd hammock or loaner hammock.

I could probably buy several more of them and bring them with me to scout camp this summer, after about 2 nights on those creaky old cots I could sell them for $50 ea to 40+ year old scout masters.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
    I could probably buy several more of them and bring them with me to scout camp this summer, after about 2 nights on those creaky old cots I could sell them for $50 ea to 40+ year old scout masters.
    I've had the same devious thought for when my troop goes in late July.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    The hammock is fine. The complaints of durability, unparallel seams, uncomfortable seams, etc, are all elitist delusion. This parrot bay hammock has more features than a hennessey, lighter than most of them, the only hammock i know of where the bug netting is permanently attached but does not have to be used, the main structure of the hammock is fine, just as good as an eno, i like it better than the HH explorer i once had.

**Oh but whitefoot, it doesn't come with a suspension system!

*Yeah, but what hammock does come with a suspension system you aren't going to replace/modify. those all cost over a 100 bucks anyway!

**Oh but whitefoot, that seam on my back is so terrible!

* I hardly noticed it, but hey, life is tough. boo hoo.

**Oh, but whitefoot, the netting doesn't look so durable.

* Good thing its not neccessary, but it will probably outlast the average hiker.

hehehe.

for 25 dollars, you get too much with this thing. That elastic cording i am going to use to modify my pea pod. IT can be used with the net or without with a simple flip of the hammock. (there is potential to use the netting as a pad sleeve when the hammock is no net mode, with the net under the hammock.) The rope on the ends is plenty big enough and just fine. If it stretches, you can tie new knots that reduce the size of the loop. the main body of the hammock and its ends are plenty durable and will last a lot longer than "two seasons."

Its big enough for all 6'5" 210lbs of me. gee, what else? Oh, it has interior pockets, and hang loops inside the hammock. Oh, its really light and compact too!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Glad you found a hammock you are happy with, that's all that matters.
    Cannibal, the self-admitted delusional elitist.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My concern with kids, at least with the one I was shipped, is durability.
    Wow! They shipped you a kid with your hammock order! Not sure if that rates up there as a plus or a minus. Although it must not be a very high quality kid if your concerned about their long term durability. Most of the ones I know can tolerate all kinds of abuse...

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Glad you found a hammock you are happy with, that's all that matters.
    Cannibal, the self-admitted delusional elitist.
    thanks.

i only said it cause you admitted it.

all in good fun.

Disclaimer: maybe its not better than a HH, i know i got all Billy Mays on ya'll!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast