Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    I use shockcord with a loop on one end and a cord lock on the other end, that are attached to each bottom corner of the tarp (for door adjustment) and use these

on the door itself. The clips snap onto the door and then clip onto the loop end of the shockcord for door closure, or i clip it to the panel pullout to keep them open.

I'll post up pictures of this setup later tonight.

Also these are much cheaper than an s-beaner and can be found anywhere that has an office supply store aka almost everywhere.
    Last edited by climbing.kevin; 03-13-2014 at 09:11.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Don't use shock cord but do use the little size 0 nylon sbiners from niteize that come on the keyring. They work great for clipping doors closed in the flat or open to the side pulls.

David

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiDelt496 View Post
    Brandon just stated that they pitch better with static line. I dont want to speak for him or make any definite statements, but it is probably along the lines of his stance on CRL with the SF.
    I bet he's talking about the 4 main tie outs as opposed to the doors. He may very well mean the doors, too, but I can't see shock cord being a problem there. His tarps are built to take a lot of tie out pressure so that you really shouldn't ever need self tensioning lines (shock cord or equivalent) to keep in taut, just ratchet them down real good. I doubt it matters with doors, except for possible flapping if they're not taut I suppose.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    No, he was talking about the doors specifically. He stated that with the removable doors, he recommended shock cord, but with the fixed doors on the superfly, he said static cord pitched them better. I am going out this weekend with it and will play around with the doors some to see what works best for me. I was just looking at ideas. I do agree that shock cord isnt a bad idea since they are likely to get tripped on after dark.

I do like the spring clip idea since it would be a kind of "break away" so that it would break or break loose before the tarp would tear normally. Now I have to dig through all of my old convention badges to see if I have enough of those.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by climbing.kevin View Post
    Yes. These also work well over ridge lines, clothes lines, etc., too.
    Can be found on the cheap from most big box stores with a decent office/stationary supply section.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    This is why we post. I would have never thought of those. Right now my idea is to put a small (1" diameter) roll ring on the tarp door D-Ring then snap the plastic loop on the spring clip over my zing-it fixed eye. Then connect the spring clip to the roll ring. it holds static pretty well, but breaks away with a good pull. My only concern is that a wind gust could pop it open possibly, but if the wind does pick up, I can quickly just girth hitch the fixed eye on the d-ring and retie to the stake. Not ideal, but I guess I'm heading to Staples today.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images

what I use

I just use the ole tarp tensioner idea. I make little 8-12 inch d "struts" by spiral wrapping static cordage dogbone around a doubled shock cord. This lets you either pull the cord tight to act like static cord or leave it loose to ease tripping hazards+ it keeps your doors tight in the wind. Just larkshead it to your tarp and use mitten hooks/s-biner/dutch tarp clip to connect it to your favorite cordage and stake it down. I am happy with this setup. It makes opening and closing doors easy and saves my tarp from the wrath of my night clumsiness. I also put little reflective 3m tags on them sometimes for added safety.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I have 2 pieces of shock cord about 18in. and mitten hooks on both sides, great for clipping the doors open together or closed for entry side, really just depends on severity of wind..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12