Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

for sale secrecy

I couldn't agree more with the OP.
    But, even eBay has started this practice. You can't even see the current price without starting the bid procedure.

I guess "they" think we are rich and stupid. Or maybe there are enough of that type that they don't need us.

anyway SOCKS
    eso si que es.
    grinder

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    What is the point of removing the price? I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, this is a free country andI firmly believe a seller should be able to do whatever he or she wants...I just don't see the point. Just saying...
    What I see is someone who treats HF like a one-way street. They want to use it for what they can get out of it, but are unwilling to give back, to balance the scales and make it a two-way street, with give-and-take. It's like folks who want to "drive by" and post for sale, never having participated in any meaningful way (50 posts is a pretty darn low threshold).

Extremely disrespectful of HF and of this community. Not only should the original asking price be left, but the actual sales price should be required. A "free market" requires complete knowledge on part of sellers and buyers. Going back in and affirmatively removing prices is manipulating the market. To paraphrase the above quote, "I just don't see a good point. Just saying."

Just my two cents. Apologies to any toes stepped on.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I don't know why, but the practice of removing the price after a sale is made, seems to be the common practice on other forums that I visit. Just an observation.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I've seen this come up on other forums, of course, as others... One reason I have seen a few times is that it makes it easier to note that the item is sold and no longer for sale.

I appreciate seeing prices so I'm of the mind that people should read more carefully and "SOLD" in front of the item's price is sufficient; as is the often "Closed" status of the thread, depending on the forum.

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I will ALWAYS edit out the price of a sold item. The price for which I sold my item should not constrain another member from asking for the value they place on a similar item. The fact that a similar peice of gear sold cheap last week should have no bearing on what I am asking this week.

If you're in the market for an item you'll know what value you place on it.
    Why? You seem to be the only person who has replied to this thread who thinks the price should be removed. It would be helpful to know why you feel this way.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I don't know why, but the practice of removing the price after a sale is made, seems to be the common practice on other forums that I visit. Just an observation.
    Leaving the price is the common practice at other forums that I visit. In fact, on one forum I visit regularly (and have for 8 years) editing the original post in a thread in the "Buy/Sell/Trade" forum is discouraged in the strongest terms without there being an actual rule. It keeps everything out in the open and transparent.

What happens and works at other forums doesn't really matter, anyway. The folks that run this forum have made their positions clear in this and past threads.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock & Garda
    Given the recent discussion, I plan on limiting my purchases to persons that do not sale on multiple platforms or change their posts. I also feel, based on this thread, that any donation I may make in the future does not guarantee that moderators or administrators will moderate the one area that seems to require it the most, by their own admission. I also have to agree though, that this forum's greatest strength is the knowledge available to all of us, by us, for free. Should the for sale sub-forum disappear, would it be so bad?

It is my experience that loving and lasting relationships benefit from transparency and honesty, especially when it comes to money.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCRed View Post
    Why? You seem to be the only person who has replied to this thread who thinks the price should be removed. It would be helpful to know why you feel this way.
    He pretty much did explain why..
    Everyone is different, you won't find fixed pricing here.. If someone needs money right away, or just wants to be generous and ask a great price, that is up to them, other folks will hold out and get what they can..... Just part of the fun....
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Well i am not sure but if the seller is required to put the selling price in the title then he can also put it in his thread, when he sells something he can then swap out the price for the word sold but it would remain in the title.. but after awhile on here you get a feel for what things go for, and if you only have time to scan the for sale thread then you are not using the site for its intended use,, not saying that anyone here is doing that but we all must keep in mind that the for sale thread is an extra and the site could survive without it, its a secondary perk of what the forum as a whole is all about !..Put the sale price in the title..the title cannot be edited !..
    The seller is not required to put his asking price in the title, only the body.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast