Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz

Here's the thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Yes, I have heard of the tool. But I start getting confused when it mentions ridgelines when my indoor system doesn't use them at all. And they have also seemed to remove the height box from the calculator and replaced it with an automatic calculation based on hammock angle (I have no way to measure mine.)

Well, I actually put the D rings on the green diagonal (yeah, the wall in the way is a real pain.) but that also allows me to get the hammock more reasonably close to the ground.

I should probably be using a more proper suspension system, as of right now I'm using polyester rope. That might also explain why the hammock went from being very comfortable to slightly painful.
    Think of the "ridgeline" more as the distance you want your loops at.

As for the angle many people say the Mayans work well with a 45˚ angle however, the person I purchased my Mayan from (Hammock Boutique - where many distributers get there hammocks from) strongly suggested 13' as the ideal loop distance (the imaginary "ridgeline"), with the ideal hang distance at 14.8', and mid to lower thigh as the ideal sag when not in hammock, which will leave about 6'7 of length on the actual bed (regardless of width); this would create more of a 30˚ angle. I have also read many times that for a Mayan you can go as short as 2' shorter with the loop distance, hence the 11' mentioned, as long as the angle is right. The whole point is to be able to make the bed of the hammock flat easily. I find you get a lot more of a lumpy feeling if less than 12'....

I have only been using my Mayan hammock for about a month now and starting off at about 12', but as my hammock and ropes stretched, I had the same problem as you, so I went for more and more sag veering toward 11'. What I found was it was squeezing my spine in different places, but if I got in just one magical position, it wasn't as bad - not good enough! In reconsidering what the Hammock Boutique said, I tried to put my hammock much closer to the 13' loop distance end (12'6 was the closest I could get) and maybe if I was closer to 13' it would be a bit better, but I prefer just over 12' (my stud location limited my getting to 13'). Maybe one day, I'll have enough room to actually try 13.1', but for now, I've found my sweet spot.

I hope all this babbling helps! I know very few people here use Mayans, many go for gathered end or Brazilian for their indoor hanging, so it's hard to find enough info from those with hands on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag View Post
    If you can temporarily attach a ridgeline to the hammock to get an approximate sag, it would probably help. Looking at the hammock you are using, I probably wouldn't want a permanent ridgeline since it's a permanent hang location. Just get some string and measure out the 83% while attached and adjust.

Just one noob trying to help another
    Alright, I'll try that out tonight and report back in the afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Think of the "ridgeline" more as the distance you want your loops at.

As for the angle many people say the Mayans work well with a 45˚ angle however, the person I purchased my Mayan from (Hammock Boutique - where many distributers get there hammocks from) strongly suggested 13' as the ideal loop distance (the imaginary "ridgeline"), with the ideal hang distance at 14.8', and mid to lower thigh as the ideal sag when not in hammock, which will leave about 6'7 of length on the actual bed (regardless of width); this would create more of a 30˚ angle. I have also read many times that for a Mayan you can go as short as 2' shorter with the loop distance, hence the 11' mentioned, as long as the angle is right. The whole point is to be able to make the bed of the hammock flat easily. I find you get a lot more of a lumpy feeling if less than 12'....

I have only been using my Mayan hammock for about a month now and starting off at about 12', but as my hammock and ropes stretched, I had the same problem as you, so I went for more and more sag veering toward 11'. What I found was it was squeezing my spine in different places, but if I got in just one magical position, it wasn't as bad - not good enough! In reconsidering what the Hammock Boutique said, I tried to put my hammock much closer to the 13' loop distance end (12'6 was the closest I could get) and maybe if I was closer to 13' it would be a bit better, but I prefer just over 12' (my stud location limited my getting to 13'). Maybe one day, I'll have enough room to actually try 13.1', but for now, I've found my sweet spot.

I hope all this babbling helps! I know very few people here use Mayans, many go for gathered end or Brazilian for their indoor hanging, so it's hard to find enough info from those with hands on experience.
    Hah, I suppose it does make sense that the larger the bed, the larger the distance between hanging points.

My current distance between loops is about 118 inches. (10 ft 8 inches.) I'll try knocking about 6 inches off of each side, and see what happens.

Any simple solutions for a easy to tune suspension?

Hammock
    ENO DN w/Whoopies
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Hah, I suppose it does make sense that the larger the bed, the larger the distance between hanging points.

My current distance between loops is about 118 inches. (10 ft 8 inches.) I'll try knocking about 6 inches off of each side, and see what happens.

Any simple solutions for a easy to tune suspension?
    Whoopies !

Well, for now I've got this triple fisherman's knot holding lengths of rope together on both ends. I changed the length of the head rope from 26 inches to 20. I also changed the the length of the foot rope from 20 inches to 13. Well, This actually didn't do a whole lot for the ridgeline length, but it did pick the hammock up off the ground quite a bit!

At any rate, it moved the pretty substanal pain from my lower back to a annoying ache in my middle back. I think we're getting there!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    With Mayans it is better to keep the ends even, so you might want to adjust that.

Now try laying in the hammock directly across it, rather than on a diagonal. Start there, then slowly move into a diagonal to find the spot where you really feel relaxed. You'll find more comfort at a more severe diagonal than you might think.

Glad it's just annoyed at this point!

I use the ropes provided with the hammock, which are 6' nylon ropes. I fold it in half, place the length behind the loop, bring the ends over and across the loop, placing it just above the folded part of the rope, then bring the folded end up, and over the length leading to the ends, then dip into and through the loop, and pull up, so it comes out the back side of the loop. Ta da!

Good luck!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I just wanted to say, if it comes down to it, and it would be easier to have a shorter hammock to get the right lay, lust tie a knot on either end about an inch or two from the end. They say that will shorten it by 40cm(15").

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12