Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Storm Awning for HH Tarp

The rain was blowing almost horizontally on Dartmoor at the weekend, straight into the foot of my hammock and wetting my feet. The problem was solved by rigging a poncho over the end like an awning, which got me thinking. Hennessy tarps look stylish, but they leave a large area of the hammock side exposed to driven rain. My poncho solved this, but looked awful, and I thought wouldn't it be nice to be able to fit an extension to the tiny default thong-bikini tarp, something that looked as stylish as the HH design, and kept the rain and wind out. The Stormcrow is what I came up with - would love to see somebody make one of these

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Interesting idea. He is actually selling what he calls a winter tarp this year. It closes in on the ends while still retaining the basic Hennessy appearance. Interesting design for a minimalist tarp.
    Trust nobody!

Of course it would make more sense to sell a modified tarp in one piece, if I could get hold of one like this I would certainly use it instead of the default tarp, wind driven rain or otherwise. The added 'porch' I had with my poncho over one end was great for cooking under and left the ground under the entry relatively dry to step out onto in the morning, which would be one of the main attractions, for me anyway, of a closed end extension like this. Will keep an eye out for the HH winter tarp.

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Maybe it's my perspective but with the added velcro and such wouldn't be less expensive and lighter to just pick up a HH Hex tarp? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea for the smaller default A-Sym tarp!

Hammock
    nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie
    we can talk about the merits of the idea, sure... but we absolutely need to applaud the quality of the graphic! haven't seen better! hey you hammock equipment manufacturers -- hire this guy!!! about the idea... JRB modifies a dri ducks poncho to work as an undercover, which might solve most of your problem and still leave you with a double-use piece of equipment... but actually, I think you should try to figure out how to modify a poncho so it IS an elegant solution for a rain porch add-on to a standard HH tarp. Then, no more equipment to carry, and more dry area...

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I like the idea. sorta like a removable beak. You could intergrate something similar on just about any tarp I would think.

Your illustration is terrific.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Thanx for the feedback guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Maybe it's my perspective but with the added velcro and such wouldn't be less expensive and lighter to just pick up a HH Hex tarp? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea for the smaller default A-Sym tarp!
    The Hex tarps don't appeal to me as they are practically ridge tents, whereas the minimalist HH fly's really give the impression of being detached from the ground, and are almost enough, but slightly too small and leave exposed areas each side. As you say, all this additional material would add weight and cost, so a complete one-piece tarp with this beak shape at both ends would be the ideal solution for me.

Also, i'm not really a poncho guy - I prefer my goretex jacket, so I don't want to have to carry additional waterproofs around with me to 'patch up' design flaws temporarily until I have to wear them again...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CR0M View Post
    Thanx for the feedback guys.

The Hex tarps don't appeal to me as they are practically ridge tents, whereas the minimalist HH fly's really give the impression of being detached from the ground, and are almost enough, but slightly too small and leave exposed areas each side. As you say, all this additional material would add weight and cost, so a complete one-piece tarp with this beak shape at both ends would be the ideal solution for me.

Also, i'm not really a poncho guy - I prefer my goretex jacket, so I don't want to have to carry additional waterproofs around with me to 'patch up' design flaws temporarily until I have to wear them again...
    Super Shelter. Of course it might weigh more than than this solution and/or larger or more advanced tarps, but then it also serves additional purposes.

Still, I like this idea also. Especially for the time of year when you would not want any extra insulation on the bottom, in fact you need an air conditioner.

Yeah, I hear that. On this particular camp I was so warm all night I had to open the sleeping bag up at both ends.
    It might rain a lot here in Blighty but it is never really cold enough to warrant anything more than a thermarest under my butt.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I use my HH asym tarp as a storm awning for my Guide Gear 9X9 tarp.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast