Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings

Smile Modding my DD Frontline

Hi guys!

I'm always having new ideas for DIY projects, but they usually ends up in the bin for good ideas and never done for real. Sometimes because of shortage of time, or shortage of funds. It was the latter that stopped me the last time.

Anywho... No I have an idea that will only cost time (if done correctly) and that I should be able to afford right now
    My thoughts are to mod my DD Hammocks Frontline. In my oppinion, it's a bit small. It tends to squeese my shoulders a bit, which is the biggest reason for all my ideas. So, what I'm thinking about doing right now is to remove one of the layers in the hammock. And then use the removed layer to widen the remaining one. My plan is to make the hammocka about 8-16" wider in total. Maybe even adding a foot box...

Pros: Wider hammock which gives more space. Possibly a flatter lay. Cost.
    Cons: Still a rather short hammock (2.7m/106"). Might not make it good enough

So, what do you guys say? Is it even worth doing, or will the fabric fail as a single layer? I'm not that heavy, about 80kg/175 punds...

Thanks!
    Fredrik

I say don't do it... You would be better off starting from scratch for such an endeavor. Couple of things to try. An inflatable pad will lessen the squeeze. Also, try rigging a ridgeline of some sort to give a little more sag. DD hammocks are made to string kind of tight, but a ridgeline will lessen the taught-ness. Keep us posted, and take some pics if you decide to do the mod.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Thanks for your reply, inspectorguy! I've tried the pad solution. Quite good, might be a little better regarding the squeeze, but can't really remember as it was a couple of years back. Since then I've been using a UK Hammocks UQ.
    Hm, I'll try a ridgeline. Had that one a while back as well, but I didn't like it with the bugnet. Need to find a way for the ridgeline to work inside the bugnet... That'll give me some storage possibilities as wel

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    +1 on everything inspectorguy said (except the pad, I haven't tried a pad in a hammock). DD don't do custom work, so it may be worthwhile selling tge frontline and seeing if TW hammocks will make you one to your specs, they are almost identical hammocks but tw have more size options.

The fabric shouldn't fail as a single layer though

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Cheers, craige!
    Correct me if I missunderstood you, but I didn't mean to send it back to DD for modification. That's for me to do I don't think I'll ask someone else to do it for me, that'll cost to much for me at this point. So it's pretty much this or nothing.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    No, what I meant was that you could sell it to another person and have get a larger hammock, and that if you like the design of the frontline, TW hammocks are almost identical and similar in price (a little less last time I looked). It would probably cost you a little money but certainly less than chopping up your hammock

Another think is, how do you hace your suspension setup? If you look at pics of the dd hammock set up as they intend then the end channel is not truly closed the way it is if you put amsteel or webbing loops through. It may be worthwhile checking out the mini spreader bar thread.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Ah, ok, then I get it.
    Well, the suspension is webbing and rings at the moment. So the webbing goes around the tree (duh) and through rings attached on the hammock by an amsteel loop. But I haven't seen the space you talk about, but I make sure to have a look in the thread you recommend. Cheers, mate!

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings

Cool

I sent an email to DD asking them about my thoughts, and especially about the fabric. This is the reply I got back:

Quote Originally Posted by Ben @ DD Hammocks
    Hi Fredrik,
    Thank you for your email!
    We are always interested to hear of modifications customers have made to our products!
    The Frontline Hammock is made from 190T Polyester and in standard form can take up to 150kg in weight - the material should not have any trouble holding the weight on its own - however the rest is down to you, I can't make comment on any stitching other than our own!
    Modifications are made at your own discretion - but I am interested in your design - please let me know how you get on!
    Best regards,
    Ben
    Of course they cannot say anyting about my stiching, that would be dangerous from their point of view. But at least the fabric will hold me, and more... Hm, I just might...
    What could go wrong?
    __
    Fredrik

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I would hate to see you ruin your hammock, if you are dead set on modding it, it may be worth trying a footbox before you start cutting it up, if it doesn't work you can easily rip out the stitching. I'm pretty sure I have some scraps of 2.2oz ripstop I could send you to make a footbox if you're interested. Let me know

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Wow, thanks a lot!
    But, no, I'm not all set on doing this, I'm just the curious type. I really would like to, but I'll not do it unless I'm sure I'll pull it off. But thanks anyway!
    I'll give the mini spreader and ridgeline a go and see if that helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast