Hammock
    ENO Double Nester
    Tarp
    Nothing Yet
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Week 23 – Wolfy wake up call, or I didn't Pack for this.

Weeks 20 and 21 were spent in the quinzee (-27 for week 21). But week 22 saw us back out hanging in some really nice old White Oaks. I thought everything was finally settling down with the crazy temperature this week, but last night (week 23, also in the oaks) was another near-record low. With a couple of pieces of reflectix, it was pretty comfortable…until about 4:30. I woke up to VERY loud howling. I struggled out of my mummy bag, half asleep, and once I got out, they took up another round, this time sounding even closer.

I've been in the woods long enough that I've heard plenty of this before, but never this close, and never with my (still asleep) 12 year old wrapped up like a tasty soft taco in the tree next to me. I stood there for a while listening, and when I could hear them running across the snow crust on two sides of our camp, I realized there was NO way I was going to get back to sleep anyways, so I woke up my son, we put on a headlamps, and walked the ¼ of a mile back to the house.

I didn't want to dampen my son’s camping spirit, so I just told him that it was -10 and I was getting cold.

I've never even heard of a camp attack by wolves, so I’m sure there was zero danger, but this has been a remarkably hard winter on the animals up here with all of the snow and the extreme cold we've had this season, so I didn't want to risk it. All in all, I’ll just consider it a successful camp out…with an early wake up call.

On a brighter note, I convinced two of my younger daughters to hike out to the camp site during the day, and they want to try hanging now too! I'm kind of glad this didn't end up being their first night out though. The attached picture is the three kids snuggled in two hammocks, taking an afternoon siesta.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Saul,

You're instincts are good. When you heard them on both sides of your camp it was an excellent choice to remove yourselves. They basically were getting set up to come in. I've watched many a wolf pack attack and once they build up their confidence and start moving in/surrounding the target, it can happen pretty quickly.

All the best!
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    ENO Double Nester
    Tarp
    Nothing Yet
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    So my plan is to buy one of those air horns you use for boating, and keep it in my hammock side pouch. That, and camp a little closer to home for a couple of weeks.

• + New Posts