Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    OK, first hit in Google brings me http://www.whatispolyester.com/

"Polyester is hydrophobic in nature and quick drying."
    I wrote this in the vein of sharing information we all should have.

Hmmm. I remember the big discussions about this back when polypropylene underwear emerged for the XC ski folks and the old polypew issue. The industry tried switching to polyester but it acted more like cotton so the talk was they had to treat the polyester to get water transport the way polypro did it naturally. Now when I dig into it they are treating polypro to be hydrophylic for diapers and polyester to be hydrophylic for summer use. That leaves me thinking I was suckered by dumb reporters with long words they did not understand back then. Did some more digging and that is more what it looks like. They are both hydrophobic but there is a significant degree of difference:

http://outersports.blogspot.com/2006...polyester.html

What is clear is that polypropylene is lighter, less absorptive, and more expensive than polyester. Either fiber is naturally hydrophobic but both of them are regularly treated to be hydrophyllic or various uses. They do handle moisture differently. Polypro is weaker and melts at a lower temperature. Polypro also makes lighter faster drying more expensive underwear if one is not into funk. If one is stinky by nature go the polyester route. ;-) Polyester is also more UV resistant so the floating rope breaks down faster in sunlight. Ditto straps.

As I said, sharing information and trying to condense it into a useful spot. I dug though multiple web sites and distilled down what I saw giving the most credence to the technical papers over the blogs. OTOH the blogs were more focused. For thise who need it explained I was wrong about polyester being hydrophylic by nature. The correct answer is probably that it is less hydrophobic than polypropylene but still a hydrophobic material by nature. A chemist might nit pick that definition but I think it is good from a practical standpoint. Both are hydrophobic compared to cotton.
    Last edited by nothermark; 03-22-2014 at 11:52.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I wrote this in the vein of sharing information we all should have.

Hmmm. I remember the big discussions about this back when polypropylene underwear emerged for the XC ski folks and the old polypew issue. The industry tried switching to polyester but it acted more like cotton so the talk was they had to treat the polyester to get water transport the way polypro did it naturally. Now when I dig into it they are treating polypro to be hydrophylic for diapers and polyester to be hydrophylic for summer use. That leaves me thinking I was suckered by dumb reporters with long words they did not understand back then. Did some more digging and that is more what it looks like. They are both hydrophobic but there is a significant degree of difference:

http://outersports.blogspot.com/2006...polyester.html

What is clear is that polypropylene is lighter, less absorptive, and more expensive than polyester. Either fiber is naturally hydrophobic but both of them are regularly treated to be hydrophyllic or various uses. They do handle moisture differently. Polypro is weaker and melts at a lower temperature. Polypro also makes lighter faster drying more expensive underwear if one is not into funk. If one is stinky by nature go the polyester route. ;-) Polyester is also more UV resistant so the floating rope breaks down faster in sunlight. Ditto straps.

As I said, sharing information and trying to condense it into a useful spot. I dug though multiple web sites and distilled down what I saw giving the most credence to the technical papers over the blogs. OTOH the blogs were more focused. For thise who need it explained I was wrong about polyester being hydrophylic by nature. The correct answer is probably that it is less hydrophobic than polypropylene but still a hydrophobic material by nature. A chemist might nit pick that definition but I think it is good from a practical standpoint. Both are hydrophobic compared to cotton.
    Excellent post. Thanks for doing the research. Most people in the worldwideintrawebinet-world would have defended their first position to the death. I love HF; so much more civil than most forums.

On the topic of nylon vs poly, I find my GT UL (approx 9' x 54" single layer polyester) to be more comfortable than my double-layer WWM (11' x 60" with knotty mod). I am 6'3" 225#. I have never understood why this is, but now the poly v nylon thing makes me think I have my answer.

I might be emailing Randy to explore my options for a longer, wider Dream Hammock in poly. That could be my hammock nirvana.

Thanks all, HF is full of great people and an incredible amount of knowledge. As a newbie, two questions that I am most interested in is size and material. The GT website lists the Travel Hammock as 9.5' I am only 5'5" and this sounds like a perfect size. Are these measurements normally the full hammock length or the ridgeline length? Also in comparing the Nano-7 it is clearly stated as 1.7 ripstop nylon. Any idea what the specs are for the polyester being used in the travel hammock?

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Thanks all, HF is full of great people and an incredible amount of knowledge. As a newbie, two questions that I am most interested in is size and material. The GT website lists the Travel Hammock as 9.5' I am only 5'5" and this sounds like a perfect size. Are these measurements normally the full hammock length or the ridgeline length? Also in comparing the Nano-7 it is clearly stated as 1.7 ripstop nylon. Any idea what the specs are for the polyester being used in the travel hammock?
    My GT is listed as 9.5' and it is significantly shorter than that ( 8'10"). However, I am 6'3" 225ish and it is very comfortable. I think it would be a great size for you. I like to be able to see clearly from my hammock and I am not a fan of excess material flopping over the sides and making a wall that blocks my peripherals. The knotty mod helps with this to some degree.

I believe the weight on the poly is around 2.3, but someone smarter than me might have a definitive answer.
    Last edited by Foxpoop; 03-23-2014 at 14:36.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    Boiling permethrin? you're a braver man than I !

I think permethrin is pretty polar so wouldn't it bind with polyester just fine ? I've no real idea just guessing, I'm no chemist !
    Probably true, I am braver than most people I know! Of course, my wife calls it something else...

I just figured if I had to boil it to get the dye to take I would need to boil it to get the Permethrine to take. But I don't really get the Permethrine to boiling, maybe 200-205 degrees or so for treating the Poly gear.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    There's been some really fantastic contributions onto this thread and I just want to convey my gratitude to some brilliant insights. YAY hammock forums !

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Probably true, I am braver than most people I know! Of course, my wife calls it something else...

I just figured if I had to boil it to get the dye to take I would need to boil it to get the Permethrine to take. But I don't really get the Permethrine to boiling, maybe 200-205 degrees or so for treating the Poly gear.
    I would recommend a cat deathometre: just hold the moggy above the heated water,if it lives your good to go

Quote Originally Posted by mtsrunner View Post
    My GT is listed as 9.5' and it is significantly shorter than that ( 8'10"). However, I am 6'3" 225ish and it is very comfortable. I think it would be a great size for you. I like to be able to see clearly from my hammock and I am not a fan of excess material flopping over the sides and making a wall that blocks my peripherals. The knotty mod helps with this to some degree.

I believe the weight on the poly is around 2.3, but someone smarter than me might have a definitive answer.
    Thanks, for the feedback, if I could find something smaller and lighter I probably would go with that. Maybe a DIY project for the future

Hammock
    HamelinHammock
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY CatCut Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 4-season down
    Suspension
    Dutch!
    Great posts in this thread...

One thing I reflected on was that DIYGearSupply sells "breathable" ripstop nylon. Is this different than the ripstop nylon being discussed above as being "clammy", trapping moisture, compared to polyester? Have never even considered using anything other than nylon, mostly going on mainstream knowledge. Being only 60kg I think I can try just about any polyester/nylon without too much worry, will have to try to get my hands on some polyester material.

How does Dutch's Argon fit in to this discussion?
    My Swedish/English YouTube channel:

HamelinHammocks

Our Facebook page:
    @hamelinhammocks

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345