WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Will I be okay to sleep out in this weather?

Hi Everyone!

I haven't had much chance to try sleeping out in the late winter yet, but I was hoping someone could give me some advice about whether my current set up will be sufficient?
    Temps are looking to dip down to about -10C, or 14F.

My planned set up looks something like this:
    Hammock: WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp: WB MJ (no doors)
    Bottom insulation: 1/2" CCF + HG Pheonix 20* (seat pad under feet inside bag)
    Top insulation: Fleece bag liner combined with +5C synthetic mummy bag
    Sleep clothing: 260 weight merino thermals, wool sweater, fleece pants, wool socks, columbia synthetic mid-layer, neck warmer, toque and gloves

I'll be looking at an overnight trip just to test, somewhere close enough to my car that I can pack up and high-tail it out of there in a moments notice, if I can't hack it.
    Any tips from more experienced winter campers are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Fish; 03-16-2014 at 19:52.
    Coffee?

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    There's only one way to find out

Seriously, it comes down to how you sleep in the cold. From your setup it seems adequate and you've done the smart thing by having the car near in case you need to "high-tail it out of there".

My only advice would be to somehow rig doors (or order a set from 2QZQ - they do top quality work and well worth the $, even to Canada). If there's any wind, it will find its way under that tarp. Nature has a way of doing that. Please report back and let us know how it went.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    That set-up looks to be a light - 1/2" CCF gets me to about -5C on the bottom. Then with your +5C sleeping bag with the fleece adding another 5C = 0c or 32F on top.
    I'd add a warm blanket and a hot water bottle. Or, Maybe a couple 12 hr hand warmers.
    P.S. I limit myself to 20F (-7C) and your current set-up is close to what I use at my limit.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    It does depend on how 'hot' you sleep as mentioned already.
    For me, your under-insulation sounds OK, but your sleeping bag may be a bit light. That said, sleeping bag ratings are 'all over the place'. (Just compare the fill weights on manufacturer's websites for the same temp rating bags - you'll easily find 'factor of two' differences...)
    I've used my MEC Raven (down) 0degC bag in +5C-+10C weather and not been overly hot, sleeping in polypro/merino base layer (with a hat handy).
    In a hammock (vs tent with fabric-not mesh- inner) the windspeed can make quite a bit of difference.

Be sure you have a bailout plan in case the WX turns colder than expected!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I haven't had much chance to try sleeping out in the late winter yet, but I was hoping someone could give me some advice about whether my current set up will be sufficient?
    Temps are looking to dip down to about -10C, or 14F.

My planned set up looks something like this:
    Hammock: WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp: WB MJ (no doors)
    Bottom insulation: 1/2" CCF + HG Pheonix 20* (seat pad under feet inside bag)
    Top insulation: Fleece bag liner combined with +5C synthetic mummy bag
    Sleep clothing: 260 weight merino thermals, wool sweater, fleece pants, wool socks, columbia synthetic mid-layer, neck warmer, toque and gloves

I'll be looking at an overnight trip just to test, somewhere close enough to my car that I can pack up and high-tail it out of there in a moments notice, if I can't hack it.
    Any tips from more experienced winter campers are greatly appreciated!
    Where do you plan on going for your test hang and when more importantly.

The temps are set to rise for most of the coming week, in Southern Ontario at least. As for your question, a 20F 3/4 length underquilt with a CCF pad should easily be enough bottom insulation for -10C. Your solution for top insulation is a little light in my opinion. However that is an individual thing. If you know you are a warm sleeper, than that would be fine. For me, I at least want to have insulation (top and bottom) that is rated for at least 5 to 10 degrees (celsius) more than the lowest temperature you expect to get. It is easier to vent a little when you are too warm and weather forecasters aren't the most accurate when it comes to trip planning.

Also, it is best to sleep starting off in your base layers only as your body heat needs to escape into your insulation so it will do its job properly. If you find that after a while that you are chilled add 1 layer of clothing at a time until you are comfortable.

GIven that you only have a hex tarp to work with, site selection will be key, you are going to want to find a site that is well protected from wind and pitch hammock and tarp such that any wind you do get will hit the tarp broadside. It would be a different story if you had doors on your tarp or a grizzbeak.

Other than that, have fun, and don't be afraid to bail out if the temperatures are well below what you can handle.

Be sure to post a trip report when you get back from your overnight hang.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    You should be good with what you're planning. As for some more warmth, if you put two tie outs on the bottom sides about 30" (76 cm) from each end, you can hunker down the tarp and cross over the end tie outs to make doors. This will help block the wind and keep the inside temps a bit higher. Not much room to move about, but it keeps you warm & dry.
    I also use a length of fleece suspended over the ridge line to form a hanging cover. If it gets too cold out, I drop the cover and lay it right on top of the hammock over me.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Looks good to me. 40/20 works good for me down to about 16*. I wear light base layers, fleece hood, hat and socks

Supplemented with med to heavy base layers, and 1/2" pad, you should be able to do it. A couple sit pad sized pieces of Reflectix would certainly be cheap light weight insurance, for any errant cold spots.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the tips guys!

I'll be sure to hang near enough to my car that I can bail if need be. Ideally I'd try it out in the back yard first, but there will be a few feet of snow there and almost no protection from the wind. I know of a better spot that isn't too far away so... I'll give it a shot. I think I'll also give the old "hot water in a Nalgene" trick a try just to be safe. If I find I'm lacking anywhere, at least it will be a good lesson learned and I'll know where to invest for future winter hangs

Brian, the plan is to go out for a quick overnight on Friday since it's the only night that really works with my schedule, and the overnight low in Sudbury looks like it will be -10C or so. Coldest I've slept out in my rig so far was -4C, but that was without the UQ, merino base layer, and fleece bag liner, so I'm hoping they will make enough of a difference to keep me comfy. I do tend to sleep hot, so fingers crossed!

I'll be sure to report what I find.
    Coffee?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Spent some time thinking about it this week... decided that regardless of where I go, I'm going to have to dig a trench. So, I slapped on my snowshoes and dug one in the hang spot in my back yard. Better safe than sorry, at least for a trial run, right? I'll still post something of my experience after I give it a shot!
    Coffee?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Spent some time thinking about it this week... decided that regardless of where I go, I'm going to have to dig a trench.
    I've never snow camped with a hammock....why the trench?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast