DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Izraelius View Post
    My UL Argon order just arrived! Any tips before I start cutting a sewing? This will be my first time working such thin material.

Thanks guys!
    Yes, tape that stuff down to measure, mark and cut it. There are some threads in the DIY forum that talk about making quilts out of that stuff. One of them is mine. Also, watch the extra fabric doesn't get pulled into the stitching. It's easy to do since that stuff is so thin. Also be careful around the corners, they get pulled into the machine easily. I was told to put some masking tape over the feed dog to help it pull the fabric through considering its sooo thin. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Hmm. Anybody using cuben for baffles or as a cover material does not understand materials. Where does that leave the person who buys them?
    I love my zpacks quilt more than any other piece of gear I own. I will defend its honour.

The baffles don't need to be breathable since you only need the vapor to permeate the surface area of the quilt.

ya... I thought the same thing....

You could have solid rubber as baffles, (if that was in any way practicable or desirable), and not have any issues. CF is just another way to save weight for the gram weenies out there that appreciate it, and are willing to pay for it. Good idea on their part I say! Dunno if any other vendors use CF baffles, if not maybe a good way to offer a differentiation from the competition. (it actually makes sense, in this application...., not just thrown in somewhere irrelevant for marketing purposes.)

That's generally how the cottage vendors survive, and thrive.... it's all based on the quality/value of their products, not gimmicky advertising. It's word of mouth testament of their products. A large established enterprise may be able to push out mediocre products and make a bit of profit, but that's not gonna work for any vendor trying to sell product. They can't afford to compete on price alone, the advantage in is the quality, or overall value, of their product. If it's not good enough... they probably aren't around long.
    Last edited by Algonquin_bound; 09-29-2014 at 22:54.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345