Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock

Help me wrap my head around some sewing concepts for underquilts

Underquilts are expensive. I figured I can make one for roughly half price for a 850 fill power 3/4 length UQ. I thought I was all set, going to use the Just Jeff's page as a reference, about to get a thread injector, when I discover the differential cut. Now my head has melted for probably what is a simple thing to do, I just can't find information on how to do it, or picture it yet in my head.

Can someone please explain this to me: If I'm understanding correctly, the outer layer is going to be cut 6-7" wider (and maybe longer?) than the inner layer. Marking the baffles on the inner layer seems easy enough, just measure 10.5" or so from the edge to account for a few inches of seam, and then mark the next baffle 7-8 inches after the first, rinse and repeat until you're all the way across the fabric. Now here's where I'm not understanding: How do you mark the baffles on the outer layer that's cut wider? Are you supposed to divide the amount of diff cut by the number of baffles so that the distance (width) between baffles on the outer layer is more than the inner layer, you match the baffle points up and "dart" the "extra" fabric on the ends when you finish it with a rolled hem? The baffles can't be the same width on both layers for a diff cut right? I've also heard of a diff cut going the other way on the fabric as well. anyone have any info on how to do that too?

If i can wrap my mind around this, it's going to be full steam ahead for this UQ project, and then a TQ. Thanks in advance to the smart, good natured folks here who might chim in. If I end up undertaking this project, I'll try to make a detailed how-to article with pictures.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-Calculations

Go several pages through to find updated spreadsheet.

Images
    If you study this DIY Gear page, it might help explain the differential cuts. Panels are cut different widths and then pleats are sewn into them so they are all end up the same length and width AROUND THE EDGES. But in the middle they bunch up some, which is the purpose of doing it, you end up with some loose space inside which aids the insulation.

https://diygearsupply.com/wp-content...xUQ-lowres.jpg

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I went to that calculator link, but it said its in the owners trash. Is there an updated version? I didn't see one in any of the other 3 pages

• + New Posts