Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

What has the PSH been up to?

Whats up yall, Rev here with a quick intro and some updates for ya!

Some of you in the South East may have heard of the Palmetto State Hangers, or PSH for short. I am the Chairman of the group, with Gresh as the VC and JunebugDawn as the treasurer.

Last year, after a few of us spending a good bit of money out of pocket to pay for campsites and such we got to talking about forming an official group for the South Carolina hammock contingency. One of the main reasons was because quite a few places we'd like to camp had a rule that the primitive areas (where most of the more wooded areas were) could only be used by groups with leaders and regular meetings. Well, we met regularly, and after a vote we had leaders! It also helps hangers by offsetting the out of pocket costs to rent facilities, as well as helping local camping areas get better equipped.

Well, the PSH has been able to do a few big things since forming. Last year, at the Fall Sprawl, we were able to give the Sesquicentennial State Park a $1000 donation from the group! Those funds went toward new fire rings and programs at the park.

Because of our involvement in the park, as well as the relationships and reputation the group has established there, we were asked to come back to work with families that otherwise might not get a chance to experience the great outdoors this April. They even have us listed as "Hammock Experts"!

With the help of group funds I was able to reserve the ENTIRE primitive area for the SC Fall Sprawl, which as one HF'er put it, is turning into the SuperBowl of Hammock Camping. I hope that I can get a lot of the cottage vendors to come and enjoy the weekend with us this year.

I am very proud to be a part of all thats been going on, and wanted to share with the entire Hammock Forums family some of the advances thats been going on in the great state of South Carolina and be an example to others.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Glad to hear that South Carolina is representing us so well!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Thanks MAD777! We really wanted to be able to give back to the places and people that were making what we do happen, and having the group helps everyone involved. More people are able to put on better hangs when they are able to get help from the group to cover costs. If nothing else, it helps take the stress out of planning knowing you have people that have your back and dont have to worry about how you're going to handle the expense.

And as always, EVERYONE is invited to any PSH events from any state.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    One of the other things we are doing is a matching funds challenge for the Goat Island Fire Ring Fund. For several years now, Chickenwing has been collecting donations to put a permanent fire ring on each of the six campsites on Goat Island on Lake Greenwood. Two fire rings have been purchased, so far. This year, PSH decided we wanted to help to provide a fire ring. We are matching each dollar given through our challenge up to $75. We hope to be able to donate at least the cost of one fire ring through the challenge.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie&amp; strap
    Images
    cool Rev. I hope we can get down to a hang this year. Of course we'll be at the smoked butt, I know its not the same but...
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I for one am really proud of everybody we have as a member of Palmetto State Hangers - both paying members and non-paying. Through the good work of many small efforts, we as a community have been able to put together larger efforts (think Voltron, but made of efforts instead of robot lions) to benefit both the group itself by hosting more than just the Spring Swing and Fall Sprawl (expanding to Frozen Butt and Swamp Butt) and the state parks that so graciously host us.

I was really excited to be able to help when we were asked to be a part of Palmetto Campout at Sesquicentennial State Park - it shows that in just a few months, we've come to be a force for education and responsible stewardship of our parks and natural areas. That wouldn't have been a thing had it not been for the members we have that come to our hangs (both big and small) and represent not just PSH but the hammocking community in general as a positive movement in outdoor recreation.

Spring Swing is just a few weekends away at Huntington Beach State Park which is the only other state park in South Carolina that hosts Palmetto Campout, so next year we should be expanded to that park as well!
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I should also mention the vendors and individuals that VERY graciously offer up donations of gear and gift certificates for the raffles that go on at two of the events we host - Spring Swing and Fall Sprawl. These folks give SO generously to help us further our goals of education and stewardship, I wanted to make sure they get recognized...it's a big deal, and they're appreciated.

And remember:

"If you havin' sleep problems I feel bad for you son, I got ninety-nine problems and a tent ain't one!"
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Awesome! I hope to get down there and hang with you all.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Awesome! I hope to get down there and hang with you all.
    We'd love to have you fiveonomo!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks Rev! Once I get my daughter set up a little better we are gonna try to swing one.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast