WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    Whoopies,DutchGear

Help with WB Superfly in the wind!!

I tried to set up my whole system today for the first time. I walked outside and was greeted by sustained 25 mph winds with 35 mph gusts. I only have one option for where to hang in my backyard (2 trees right by lake) so I figured, why not try to set up in this bad weather so I can learn.

Here's my problem. First, I'm using snakeskins, so I was able to get a taught ridgeline for the tarp. I started to slowly unwind the tarp until I could get to my stake out points, and I put them into the ground the best I could on the wind side and then worked my way around. The problem (among others) is that there just didn't seem to be any way to get the guy lines light enough that the tarp wasn't blowing into the hammock in the middle. I don't know if I was trying to go too low and tight and therefor I was making a 90 degree angle to the wind, and in that much wind, I should have raised them a bit and let the wind blow through or what.

Any advice would be great!!!

On a side note, the metal ring that you attach the ridge line to on the Superfly seems to have flown off. I don't know if it broke, or wasn't hooked on well or what, but this is the first time I've tried to pitch the tarp and at one point my ridge line fell and I noticed the ring missing. I'm assuming I can just run a Stingerz from dutch through that loop and have it server the same purpose?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you got the tarp pitched, but it was blown inwards toward your hammock. Did you use the tie outs in the middle of the tarp? There's two on each side and their purpose in life is to pull the tarp away from your hammock. can you clarify if those were used, or just the 4 around the edges?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Pick different trees in a less windy place
    Seriously, I was on Mt. Rogers, similar situation, and I was like s**** this. I found a place out of the wind to hang.
    The other person I was with had their feet (or head, I can't recall ) into the wind and they at least were able to get setup. Of course they listened to the wind howl all night.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    Whoopies,DutchGear
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you got the tarp pitched, but it was blown inwards toward your hammock. Did you use the tie outs in the middle of the tarp? There's two on each side and their purpose in life is to pull the tarp away from your hammock. can you clarify if those were used, or just the 4 around the edges?
    First attempt it was just 4 around the edges because I didn't have any more shock cord to make the middle tie outs and I was afraid of using non stretching cord because of the wind gusts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    You could set your tarp a bit lower to let the angle be less steep. Might be a tight fit though getting in, or like mrjaw14 says, use the pullouts. I always use them if it's windy.
    Brady

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Are you using shock cord for your tie outlines? You need to have something that doesn't stretch for your tie outs, unless you are just using shock cord loops for tensioners to take up slack for tarp slack overnight. The rings on my superfly ridgelines are just smal split key rings. You can grab some at the hardware store or walmart and feed a couple back on there.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    Whoopies,DutchGear
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Are you using shock cord for your tie outlines? You need to have something that doesn't stretch for your tie outs, unless you are just using shock cord loops for tensioners to take up slack for tarp slack overnight. The rings on my superfly ridgelines are just smal split key rings. You can grab some at the hardware store or walmart and feed a couple back on there.

No shock cord on the anchor points just on the tie outs at the center.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    Whoopies,DutchGear

Help with WB Superfly in the wind!!

Wind died down a little and I was able to get everything tightened down. I don't know that there is any good secret to hang the tarp gracefully in that much wind!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    There's also the option to setup the ridgeline running with the wind.

Also I tend to set the leeward side of the tarp first because it seems less difficult to manage.

David

• + New Posts