Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    How do you think I got to that setup. By getting help from HE, BB, and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    What do you mean by that?

that is has become more of a DIY site for hammock gear than to help folks out just getting interested in hammocking.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    that is has become more of a DIY site for hammock gear than to help folks out just getting interested in hammocking.
    I have been thinking about this after I saw one of your posts on WB about this. I can see how someone new to this site would think this. HF is new enough where there is not a lot of info in the archives. Someone new will look at all of the current threads and may not find the answer to their questions. I think most of the new threads lean towards DIY stuff because that is what the 10-15 people (myself included) that post a lot are interested in talking about. It's our way of staying interested in this place and staying active.

I think in terms of newer people, it is something they have to actively participate in. If a thread is started and questions asked, I can see good answers.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Great looking tarp, did you use a pattern?

Images
    I used the excel macro that I wrote for BB. You can get it in his BlackCat directions. The only reason I don't post a complete how to is that one can follow his how to, and I am not going to try and take away from what he has already accomplished.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I think we do a lot to help newbies. I have written articles, the video tutorial will be coming soon, and I think any questions raised by new members is addressed. We are also planning gathering where new members can get some hands on experience. I know some of the information can be overwhelming and you get several opinions, but as HE stated this site was created because of the efforts of a few fanatical hammock campers. This is a bit of a niche forum. Want a new flashlight? Try getting an answer that is not overwhelming at the Candle Power forums. Want a new set of headphones for your new iPod? Look through the forums at www.head-fi.org and try not to be confused beyond belief.

Those of us who are hard core hammock campers really do try and help out those who are just getting started, and I realize it may raise more questions than it answers but that's part of the leaning process. It's still a new site so hopefully on down the road it will be a little less confusing to those just getting started.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 04-03-2007 at 12:41.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I think we do a lot to help newbies. I have written articles, the video tutorial will be coming soon, and I think any questions raised by new members is addressed. I know some of the information can be overwhelming and you get several opinions, but as HE stated this site was created because of the efforts of a few fanatical hammock campers. This is a bit of a niche forum. Want a new flashlight? Try getting an answer that is not overwhelming at the Candle Power forums. Want a new set of headphones for your new iPod? Look through the forums at ww.head-fi.org and try not to be confused beyond belief.

Those of us who are hard core hammock campers really do try and help out those who are just getting started, and I realize it may raise more questions than it answers but that's part of the leaning process. It's still a new site so hopefully on down the road it will be a little less confusing to those just getting started.
    They have a whole forum devoted to "lasers".
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I was going to put lasers on my dogs heads for you, but my wife didn't like the idea. I may still do it. I just need one more laser, and then they can have some fun with each other.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    They have a whole forum devoted to "lasers".
    The things they do to a Mag Light would give Bird Dog a chubby....
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The things they do to a Mag Light would give Bird Dog a chubby....
    Ahhhhh...the MAGLITE. The most versatile piece of gear ever made. I love everyone of mine.

When I first started smurfing around this site I was (and still am) a newbie to hammock camping. Thru meeting lots of you at the Mt Rogers hang, and learning from people like the Jacks, and BB, I am still a newbie, but much more comfortable with my gear.

So, I disagree. This site is great for new hammockers.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast