Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock

makeshift UQ, where to sew grosgrain, along sides or just end tie outs?

I camp mostly in temps above 40-50o, spring, summer, fall in the southeast. As such, I've been using a pad, and getting tired of that. I'm looking at maybe getting an underquilt for 20o rating, but I have a kid on the way and need to put that money elsewhere right now. besides I'd only use it near freezing one or two times a year, so that seems like overkill.

I have a fleece blanket with what looks like a layer of 1.6 or so ripstop nylon on the back. It was ment for a picnic blanket I think, and was a free swag thing from a local business. Folds into about 8"x8" square with little handles for carrying. It's 4x5' and weighs about 16oz (heavey I know) I got to thinking that I could sew some grosgrain webbing loops on the sides where I could run some shock cord and have me a light weight (temp wise) underquilt. The fleece seems kind of thin, about what a cheap fleece blankt is. the nylon is rather thick, so it'd be an effecive wind break. I thought about supplimenting another folded fleece blanket and maybe a windshield reflector reflectix. I should be ok to about 50o with that don't you think?

Since it's 48" wide, I think the biggest issue is going to be getting it cinched tight to the hammock. Will grosgrain loops spaced every 8" or so on all sides get close enough to the hammock? Was thinking about that so it could slide on the shock cord, or would you guys just sew end ties outs and adjust via shock cord loops through cord locks? I'm concerned how it might sag. I'm wondering what I should do on the head and foot ends to draw it tight, and how the previous question might affect this. This is my first attempt at anything like this, so this is a learning experience more than anything until I can get a "real" underquilt or a decent diy. I typically kayak to camp, so weight isn't so much an issue right now. I am looking to maybe do an Insultex UQ, cheap at about $60, but I don't have access to a "thread injector" right now, so this is my best option at the moment and would only cost me the grosgrain and shock cord, which the shock cord could be reused on my IX UQ if I make it.

I welcome your thoughts and experiences on the best way to do the grosgrain loops, all along the sides, or just end tie outs. I'm going to try to get pics so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I'd personally just add grosgrain to the head and feet end with a loop on each corner. I usually melt a small hole in the grosgrain channel so that the shock cord can exit and be tightened by a toggle.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4&d=1391009608

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I purchased some grosgrain yesterday and started making loops. took me two hours to sew just two loops with a boxed X by hand (no sewing machine ) I think I'm going with just four on the corners to start with and add some where I think they're needed.

I got 50' of shock cord off ebay yesterday for $8.45 shipped since my usualy source is out of stock. so I have less than $10 in this project. If this works as a summer quilt this will be awsome

• + New Posts