Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

New NA

Ordered my new NA today.

I am training for a two month trip to the Jungle. I am taking minimal supplies and will literally be living in the Jungle. I will have to forage and hunt my own food.

If you were going to do this, what would you bring for insulation for your NA? Would you trust a down UQ? Would you use a CCF pad, or a Big Agnes Down Air Pad? The rain can get pretty nasty, and stay nasty, so can the fog.

I was thinking of really roughing it and building a shelter, but I probably should have some protection from the nasties...

Thanks.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

What jungle?

Hammock
    HHUL & Clark NA & WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Wintertarp
    Insulation
    SnugFit & Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps, DutchClips
    Images
    Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Would you trust a down UQ? Would you use a CCF pad, or a Big Agnes Down Air Pad? The rain can get pretty nasty, and stay nasty, so can the fog.
    Thanks.
    I would certanly not go for down. The humidity in the avarage jungle is too high to keep it dry, even in pertex or something simmilar.

If you use the NA, in a jungle I think you can just fill the pockets with isolation.

Duncan.

Hammock
    WBBB, Clark NA
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4 season
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20*,NoSniv
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopies
    Welcome aboard, Hack. I love my NA, but have never hung in jungle! I'll leave that advice to others. Are you going to tell us a little more about this trip?

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    hacktorious What jungle are you going to and with what type of climates are you going to be in by that I mean are you always going to stay in the jungle or do you have to cross mountainous ranges before you get there.

If you are going to be in a tropical environment I probably would just take a ccf pad and would probably never use it. If your night time temps are going to stay around 60/70/80 degress I would think that you would be fine with just your odds and ends in the pocket.

Let us know about your adventure and maybe we can better help you plan for it.

Hammock
    Clark NA Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Camo XL
    Insulation
    Army poncho liner
    I'm more than a litte envious, good for you Hack. Can we get some more information about your trip? I realize we may sound a little persistent, but a little vicarious living can be good for us.
    I sleep in the trees.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Scott - You goin' alone or is Kiwi joining you?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    I'm not sure where I will be going exactly. Currently I am looking at the Foja Mountains in Papua, Indonesia.

As far as stuffing odds and ends into the pockets. Well, ummmm, I won't have any odds and ends. The only things I will have is a hammock, canteen, knife and firesteel. I will likely be able to use leaves or something.

I will be bringing Kiwi with me. I am hoping to find some other people to go with us as well. I have been training kiwi. I have to take several more wilderness sruvival courses my self. There is a nice one in Belize I hope to take. It is going to take a long time to train. I found one in Tennessee too.

Gilla you're welcome to join if you wish....
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I don't think I'd want to stuff those pockets with leaves, I'd be to scared of what else might be in those leaves!! Maybe look at some type of closed cell foam pad. You could use it to sit/lay on if you couldn't hang. I'm not so crazy about down in constant wet conditions because no matter how careful you'll be, it's still gonna attract moisture inside of it. Not crazy about the self inflating pads either because if you get a pin hole.... well you can see what's gonna happen here. Synthetic quilts would probably work , say a very light weight climashield uq. You've just ordered your NA and it's got the extra velcro. You could try and make an under quilt and put the matching velcro on it to match the underside. make it longer and put more velcro on it to match up with the pocket velcro. I would think that a light weight uq would have no trouble staying put with just the velcro. Good luck and post what you end up doing.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    I'm not too concerned about what would be in the leaves. I am sure there will be a fair number of nights I will be sleeping on the ground in a primitive shelter I make myself. I've used leaves many times as a mattress on the ground. They work quit well and are surprisingly warm.

I think a ccf pad is probably the best choice. I also like the idea of a synthetic UQ, but don't want to make one. I bet a kickassquilt would be a great choice because the temps are warmer and the weather is wet.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast