Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Next step up?

I have a HH Backpacker...but have seemed to misplaced it. My recent move has left new room in a mess, but I've found my Tarp Tent, rest of camping gear, the tarp that came with the HH and the larger tarp I bought for it. For the life of me, I can't seem to find my actual HH. So - I may just reorder the same hammock from HH, but a few questions.

I get a general feeling on these forums that the HH Hammocks are 'entry' level. So I am wondering what the next step up is? Putting my Winter Camping trip on hold until next weekend so I can either order a new hammock or changing the suspension system on the ENO hammock I got for a discount.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'd have to say it's either diy or a Warbonnet blackbird.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Not so much an entry level but a package deal. I went with the Clark instead but same thing. The more I used it the more I wanted a larger tarp. Then it was hot sleeping in the Summer so I got a netless hammock for more ventilation and room. By the time I was through I had a whole new set up and then started with the UQ to get rid of the pad and you get the idea. There's no stopping with all the hammock goodies out there to choose from.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Lots of very experienced hangers use HH's. They are not so much thought of as entry level as gateway hammocks...many folks ring them online or in stores like REI and get them initially. Then they want to try other options. Because so many start off with them then move on to other options lots of folks here get the feeling they are entry level.

i will say though that many of the cottage made hammocks have more features, color choices, customizations and so on available for them. The fu package of the HH's is appealing when starting out but the cottage made gear lets you get what you want once you know more about what your looking for in a hammock system.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallaghan View Post

I get a general feeling on these forums that the HH Hammocks are 'entry' level. So I am wondering what the next step up is? Putting my Winter Camping trip on hold until next weekend so I can either order a new hammock or changing the suspension system on the ENO hammock I got for a discount.
    You are going to be limited in your options if you need it by next weekend.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd agree with pgibson. The HH line is certainly well made but "complete", and many of the hangers here like to experiment, fine-tune their kit, etc... and the HH doesn't really accommodate that. If you liked your HH backpacker and were happy with it, then this is your chance to get another with a bigger tarp that you can switch out with the one that you have now (get the Hex tarp for winter, for instance).

I still love my HH, in spite of the others that I have - I have an HH, a DIY, and a Cottage industry hammock, all with different suspension options, etc... They're all great but if I'm going out for a few days I go back to the HH because of its simplicity.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I do have a Hex Tarp - its the one I got in addition due to its coverage (and my first hang was in the rain, so it worked out quite nicely). I am tempted to just purchase another HH, but was just looking at Dream-Hammocks and quite like the idea of being able to remove (completely) the bug-net, plus customize the colors a little more. Well, not really sure I'd go with any of the available camo options they have (a Multicam guy myself) so thats not a big draw, but I suppose material choice is though i know little enough about them in general. I can always hope a new hammock arrives in time but have no problem delaying the planned trip even more. The Ski Slops don't close until April 20th this year, so plenty of time to get out in the snow.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would change the ENO suspension. Or buy some amsteel, two tree straps, and a tablecloth. Make some endless loops and a DIY hammock. Then when you find the misplaced HH you will have two hammocks to chose from.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thats the plan for the ENO - I ordered Whoopie Slings for the HH in mind, but am thinking I may put it on the ENO and make a ridgeline for it too. I like the color (a green + tan combo) of the ENO and I think I got it for $50 or something. Its the doublenest version.

Ideally, I'd have a 4-season hammock, with removable bugnet. We don't get a whole lot of bugs out here and obviously none during the winter, so it would be nice to have that sort of option. I also like the fact that Dream Hammocks ship with Whoopie Slings already attached. And all for around the same price, if not slightly cheaper, then the HH Ultralite Backpacker. Don't need a new tarp either.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You will love the Dream Hammocks, but you will have to wait for it. There is a waiting list, but it is definitely worth the wait. I love my ThunderBird.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast