Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB with door kit

Claytor JH, Grant TX-250, or DD Jungle for First Hammock?

I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but I think I have it down to three hammocks and am looking for feedback on these, or others if someone thinks I am missing out by not including another brand. As a little background, I'm just getting into dual sport motorcycle riding and camping. I have never camped other than once or twice in my life. Over the past six months, I have purchased many items necessary for camping off the motorcycle. Tent, sleeping bag, pad, tarp, stove, cookware, etc, and all kinds of other stuff. I am planning my first trip in April, and have a big trip planned in Sept, that will take about three weeks to do. We will be doing a lot of primitive camping.

So, that being said, I'm looking for the right hammock to augment my camping options, as at my age (mid 60's), sleeping in a tent isn't the most comfortable situation. Based upon the reading I've done about hammock camping, hammocks appear to offer the best night's sleep. My three top choices so far are the Claytor JH, the Clark Tx-250, and the DD JH.

Reading through the forum, I hardly see any complaints on the Claytor and those that have one really like them. The Grants get great reviews from the people who like them, but there are some negative reviews about shoulder squeeze and general narrowness. The new DD JH has not been out very long, and so not as many personal reviews. But, comparisons to prior DD's vr the Claytor seem to go in the Claytor's favor for comfort, both for back and side sleeping.

Value also seems to be in the Claytor's favor. The Grants are really high at around $400+, the DD is around $186, and the Claytor is $150. I like the better included suspension on the DD, but not really crazy about the modular design. So I'm at this point I'm heavily leaning toward the Claytor.

All advice and recommendations are appreciated. This is my first post and I hope to contribute good information to the forum as I learn more about hammock camping. Once I get the hammock, I will focus on suspension.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    Welcome aboard! I am using the Claytor, it is my first. I really like it, in particular after spending more $ to mod it. Don't forget the shipping is $30. The included lines for the tarp suck. This was a great addition: http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Single...are-CRL-DE.htm

The included suspension straps are a pain. I went with a complete cinch buckle suspension from Dutch, which made life so much better: http://dutchwaregear.com/cinch-buckl...uspension.html

The included tarp doesn't cover much. It doesn't block much wind/ driving rain, or offer much cover to put stuff on the ground. I went with a silnylon winter tarp from underquilts.com, not on the site anymore but he made me one any way (lost biker is having treatment done right now and not taking orders, but my tarp is similar to the Warbonnet Superfly.)

I am planning on ordering a Dream Hammock Thunderbird, in a single layer. The Claytor is a double layer with heavier fabric. The tarp is also heavier. The weight might not really be a big deal, but the hammock and tarp take up a lot of pack space.

So... the Claytor is nice, after spending more $ to make hanging easier and with more protection. But I wish I went with the Thunderbird for $210, then got a tarp.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB with door kit
    Thanks CE. Those are really good points to consider. I guess when you add the cost of the mods and shipping, it may not be as good of a value as it appears. But value is not my main deciding factor, but rather comfort. I already have a nice sil tarp that is 13'x10', so the tarp coverage isn't an issue; however, it would be nice if the one that came with the hammock worked well. I like the 4 attachment point system. I think I will check out the Thunderbird hammocks as well. I haven't looked at those and they appear to be well thought of.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    13x10camo, SuprFly
    Insulation
    Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing,biners,RL
    without having used or seen either. I'd get the DD

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I like my DD Frontline.......

I have not used any of the others.

Take that for what it is worth
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    My first hammock was a DD Frontline. I didn't have anything to compare it to but I could get a good nights sleep in it so I liked it. It definitely tucked me in cocoon fashion but the new model with the spreader hoops will probably fit differently. The Frontline had a double layer bottom which made bottom side insulation easy. Contrary to some opinions, a foam pad, blanket, or rectangular sleeping bag works very well.
    I now have a Clark TX250 (with a Clark NX250 before that). I love the comfort and the features. It's very unlikely that I will ever buy any other. I did find that, even with the NX, I needed some bottom side insulation whenever it got below the mid 60's.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I have the claytor and choose it for among other reasons the higher weight rating. I second the included straps are not great.

Hammock
    Hennessey camo
    Tarp
    Hennessey
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Hennessey tree str
    I have a Claytor Jungle Hammock. It is a very well made hammock. It's my go to hammock now since I damaged my Hennessy. Although the JH is a little heavy (gram weenies take note) and the suspension really needed to be tweaked, this is a quality, comfortable, piece of gear that should be good for many, many nights. Oh, and the price is a joke for something of this quality.

Take care stay safe
    buckethead

Formerly Known as Sespe Drifter Jerven's Avatar
    Hammock
    Shelltowee Boone 20
    Tarp
    Need one
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    buckles&straps
    Out of the three you listed..... Without a doubt the clark jungle hammock is the winner. I have have multiple models and they excel in any environment without fail. Yes they are more$$$ but you get what you pay for.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB with door kit
    Thanks for the replies; however, after much reading I went with a Warbonnet Ridgerunner.

• + New Posts