Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, school me

OK, school me

New member from Maryland. Yep, I read the FAQ and some other stuff (you realize that the FAQ is something like 26 pages, right?), watched some Shug videos, etc., so I have a tenuous grasp of the basics.

I live in the woods so a hammock is a natural fit. I'm considering an ENO DN, WB bug net, ENO silnylon tarp, and TBD slings.

This has to be simple, and it can't harm the trees too much. I know a lot of people like whoopie slings but their thinness makes me wonder about tree damage. ENO Atlas straps are apparently better than their slap straps (less stretch), and since I'm not the 160 lb triathlete I was two or three decades ago strap stretch is an issue for me.

I'm leaning toward the ENO silnylon tarp since I know that I can pull it tight and expect it to stay there (my backpacking tent is silnylon, and yes, I know how to seam seal).

I don't generally base camp, but I could leave it up for days or weeks at home, hence my concern regarding tree damage.

This has to be a simple setup. I know I can get a WB BB setup for less, but I like the modularity of the ENO. Besides, I have some dividends to burn at REI.

All simple suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    I have an ENO one link with the double, which I do like. I bought it before finding the great people of this forum. I have since bought table cloths and did a couple DIY. I dont know weights but it is really just as nice if not a touch better. My diy gives me a flatter lay since the ENO is a touch short for me. The table cloth would also give you dividends to spend on something else. Just a thought. I am sure someone with more experience would have a better idea of weights. Since I am not a gram counter I dont have a scale to weigh it for you. I will admit though now my rain fly is a bit short and opened a whole new can of worms for me.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Tree straps are used with Whoopies too. Every suspension type starts off with some sort of strap to go around the trees to protect them from damage. Wider straps like 1.5" or 2" would be a good consideration for long term hanging.

You get as much or more modularity with most of the cottage hammocks as you would out of an ENO system. WB makes the Traveler, similar to an ENO but lighter weight or double layer or different colors or....options, you get it.

Most tarps that are made by the shops that frequent here are going to be Silnylon, cost less, weigh less and come with more designs, coverage and color options than ENO offers so shop around.

Would recommend getting a copy of "The Ultimate Hang" by member Derek Hansen. It's the most up to date book on hammock camping and is the most inclusive and easy to follow introduction to hammock camping available.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I'm new at hanging but feel comfortable also recommending shopping around, as well as reading "The Ultimate Hang." I hope Derek gets a cut of the Kindle version (it's only a few bucks)!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images

OK, school me

Where in MD are you? I have a few types of hammocks and suspensions you could look at if you are close.

You folks are fast. Many thanks.

OK, I'll look for wider tree huggers, although regular 1-1.5" should be fine for starters.

Had not noticed the WB Traveler. I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Traveler double 1.1 and No Net Ridgerunner double 1.1. WB's description doesn't tell me much, but that's probably because I'm a hammock newbie. WB says that the Traveler has a structural ridgeline, which I thought might be the difference, but the name "Ridgerunner" makes me think that the RR has one as well. I see a "spreader bar" with the Ridgerunner - that's a new term to me. Looks like I'd get a separate all-encompassing bug net for the Traveler, but the Ridgerunner bugnet attaches to the hammock. If I'm right, then I'd probably prefer the Traveler, but whaddiknow?

I'd already emailed some questions to WB about Cloudburst v Mamajama tarps, and they stated that one is a hex shape and the other is a rectangle. Looks like the Mamajama is the hex shaped tarp, so I might save a few ounces there.

Ultimate Hang is already on order, forgot to mention that.

Nhott, I'm near the Annapolis area - not exactly close to Hagerstown, but thanks for the generous offer.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben View Post
    You folks are fast. Many thanks.

OK, I'll look for wider tree huggers, although regular 1-1.5" should be fine for starters.

Had not noticed the WB Traveler. I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Traveler double 1.1 and No Net Ridgerunner double 1.1. WB's description doesn't tell me much, but that's probably because I'm a hammock newbie. WB says that the Traveler has a structural ridgeline, which I thought might be the difference, but the name "Ridgerunner" makes me think that the RR has one as well. I see a "spreader bar" with the Ridgerunner - that's a new term to me. Looks like I'd get a separate all-encompassing bug net for the Traveler, but the Ridgerunner bugnet attaches to the hammock. If I'm right, then I'd probably prefer the Traveler, but whaddiknow?

I'd already emailed some questions to WB about Cloudburst v Mamajama tarps, and they stated that one is a hex shape and the other is a rectangle. Looks like the Mamajama is the hex shaped tarp, so I might save a few ounces there.

Ultimate Hang is already on order, forgot to mention that.

Nhott, I'm near the Annapolis area - not exactly close to Hagerstown, but thanks for the generous offer.
    Here is a peek at the Ridgerunner......and some of my other hammocks for your interest.
    Have fun choosing and enjoy your hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I'm relatively new to hanging as well...here's a few things I've discovered so far:

The ENO Pro Fly is an alright tarp, for fair weather and light rain. It does not handle high winds or heavy rainfall very well however. I found this out the hard way last weekend; I'm now saving up for a new tarp (looking very hard at a Superfly). I'd seriously suggest looking for a wider tarp, that 6' just isn't wide enough for any real coverage.

While the atlas straps are far superior to the slap straps, they are pretty narrow (especially for heavier hangers, like me) and they're overpriced IMO. I found these straps from Algoma to be a better overall deal: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XNMEZK

If I'm not mistaken, the WB Ridgerunner is a bridge style hammock (thus the spreader bars), while the Traveler is a gathered end style hammock, but don't quote me on that.

Hammock
    I'm too green to know yet.
    Tarp
    See above.
    Well, I'm pretty new myself, but I believe a spreader bar is part of a hammock that is forced apart at the ends, via the spreader bar (Bridge hammock), versus the gathered end type of hammock. Does that make sense?

I'll leave the rest of the explainin to the more experienced on here.

Welcome to the Hammock Forums btw.
    Last edited by doc_mosi; 03-20-2014 at 19:01.
    HH Safari Deluxe, HH Hex Tarp

DIY from someone on here. I don't really know much about what I bought, but I'm sure it's real nice. I'm gonna look, dissect and learn from this one.

Dave

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    Welcome fellow md hanger. I understand yoy wanting to get an eno due to rei dividends, but I personally couldnt recommend warbonnets products enough. The blackbird has a built in shelf and footbox which makes a big difference. Personally, if you are strapped for cash, I wouldn't get the eno double, but would get the Yukon outfitters double hammock for $25 on woot.com and then go for a diy fronkey bugnet, and then a warbonnet superfly. That trap is well worth the money, and you can then spend your dividens on other nice lightweight backpacking gear rei like the snowpeak ti cooksets. Although if you do go for a warbonnet hammock, I would go for a double layer since then the bugs wont bite through the hammock in the summer. Also for suspension, I would consider the arrowhead marlin spike hitch toggle suspension or the warbonnet cinch buckle suspension which comes with his hammocks.
    My gear load
    lighterpack.com/r/o9iaf

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast