Zing It structured ridgeline?

New to the forums and although I searched and couldn't find it I am sure this question is answered somewhere just hoping someone could point the way.

I have been using Zing It for my structured ridgeline just curious if that is a bad idea

Also one last question (for now), I noticed a while back that the biners that come with the ENO DN say 400lb max. I have read a lot of people on the forums saying that the minimum safe ratio was 10 to 1 body weight. With that said would using Zing It for suspension not be pretty much the same thing? I tried it out of curiosity before I found the forums. It held just fine for me (about 165lbs).

Just trying to sort out what's recommended, what will work, and what will kill ya lol.

Thank you for your time.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I wouldn't use Zingit as a structural ridgeline if you have it tight and taking a weight load. I use it as a ridgeline on my Lite Owl hammock but I always make sure that even when in the hammock it's got some slack in it. I just use it to eyeball my pitch and to hang stuff from. I'd go with Amsteel for a structural ridgeline if it will be supporting your weight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    HG 4-Season Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 0°/30° TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I use Lash It (1.75) for my tarp ridgelines. The 1.75 Lash It and Zing It are the same besides color, the latter yellow and former silver. I just purchased a spool of it to make my own ridgelines and guylines. Many use Zing It for guylines and Lash It for ridgelines (for visibility), but it'll work fine in any combination.

For structural ridgelines, I think Lash It would be fine, although you could go with the thicker variety (2.2) if you do so desire.

I know Zing It can technically work (as in on paper) to hang a hammock, particularly for lighter people, but I'd personally just go with 7/64 Amsteel. It will give you more security than the kind found on a paper. I've heard several far heavier people than myself feel better with 1/8, and I know a guy that settles for nothing less than 1" Amsteel.

I don't think you'd save enough weight with Lash It over 7/64 Amsteel to justify dropping yourself and your nice underquilt (or head) onto jagged obsidian at 3am.
    Last edited by Cosmo; 03-20-2014 at 20:46.

Thank you for the info and quick response, Amsteel is on my list of stuff to buy since joining this forum lol

Honestly I hate cold weather so I don't do a lot of cold weather camping, although in Louisiana we only have 1 or 2 month winters lol. I sleep in a poly silk liner and a thin fleece sleeping bag if the tempeture drops below 65 (pretty rare from April to October).

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use 1.75mm Zing-it for my structural ridgeline. That being said, I always hang my suspension at 30* for which the ridgeline length is set. Consequently, there is enough tension on the ridgeline to keep it taut.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    For me...Amsteel is a bit overkill for SRL, but whatever allows you to hang with confidence and safety gets the call.

How heavy is the hanger in this instance? At 165# I can get by with Zing-it, Lash-it, no problem.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG & UGQ DOWN
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Great information. Just got my hammock, will take it out for "set up practice" this weekend. (Provided it doesn't storm. Want first set up in decent weather, because it could take me awhile! Lol!��

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    For me...Amsteel is a bit overkill for SRL, but whatever allows you to hang with confidence and safety gets the call.

How heavy is the hanger in this instance? At 165# I can get by with Zing-it, Lash-it, no problem.
    I will stick with the Zing It for now. Even if it fails the hammock will only fall back to the suspension setup anyway. It's not like I am rappelling with it.

• + New Posts