Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

confussed scout leader looking to buy a hammock

As the thread says, I am a confussed scout leader looking to buy a hammock for a week long trip. At the moment I am leaning towards a claytor JH and a warbonnet BB but can not decide which one.

The warbonnet website is very confussing. I understand the difference between a single layer and double, but what is the difference between a 1.7 and 1.1?

Also, what is the difference between line/tree strap suspension or adjustable webbing suspension?

From the looks of it this hammock does not come with any standard tarp? Where do you go about buying a satisfactory cheap tarp? I noticed some people recommending Maccat tarps but i can not afford a tarp which is 1/2 the price of the hammock.

When you buy a seperate tarp do you need to cary a seperate bag for it as well or will it fit into the same stuff sack as the warbonnet bb

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureProdigy View Post
    As the thread says, I am a confussed scout leader looking to buy a hammock for a week long trip. At the moment I am leaning towards a claytor JH and a warbonnet BB but can not decide which one.

The warbonnet website is very confussing. I understand the difference between a single layer and double, but what is the difference between a 1.7 and 1.1?
    Fabric weight per square yard.
    Also, what is the difference between line/tree strap suspension or adjustable webbing suspension?
    Webbing wraps around the tree and clips onto itself with a biner. Adjustments are made with a set of rings that the webbing runs through. The line option uses a length of webbing with loops sewn into each end. The short length of webbing (tree strap) is wrapped around the tree and lashed together using the line.

The line is lighter, the webbing is quicker.
    From the looks of it this hammock does not come with any standard tarp? Where do you go about buying a satisfactory cheap tarp? I noticed some people recommending Maccat tarps but i can not afford a tarp which is 1/2 the price of the hammock.
    There are options. The sportsman's guide one is a good one.
    When you buy a seperate tarp do you need to cary a seperate bag for it as well or will it fit into the same stuff sack as the warbonnet bb
    I carry them seperate. Don't want a wet tarp with your hammock.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 06-17-2009 at 08:50. Reason: Wrong word
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    If you want more pictures of what comes with the Warbonnet, have a look at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...ird%20Hammock/ which is a test series BackpackGearTest.org is doing on them. Several of us here on the forums are the testers there, and speaking for myself, I'd be glad to answer questions.

There's a bit of extra room in the Warbonnet stuff sack, but I don't think you'll get a tarp in there.

If you're new to hammocking and aren't sure about taking the plunge, I'd recommend that you try making a TestHammock, add a ridgeline and bug net, and see what you think. Any old tarp will do, as long as it covers you.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have the Hennessy Expedition Asym with the zipper mod and use the MacCat Ultra tarp.
    I camp with a friend that uses the Claytor.
    I haven't used the Claytor, but I wouldn't trade.
    As for the Warbonnet, I'm having a hard time holding back on that one. I like the Blackbird a lot. It's just a matter of time before I pull the trigger.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Buy the Black Bird no question for me it's American made and one of our own members makes them. You will not be sorry.

cannibal, you mentioned:
    1) 1.7 and 1.1 refers to "Fabric weight per square yard."

Could you elaborate a bit on that. I am totally 'new' and don't understand the difference. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each - 1.1. and 1.7.

2) Webbing wraps around the tree and clips onto itself with a biner. Adjustments are made with a set of rings that the webbing runs through. The line option uses a length of webbing with loops sewn into each end. The short length of webbing (tree strap) is wrapped around the tree and lashed together using the line.

The line is lighter, the webbing is quicker.

Is there any other difference? What do most people get? The webbing sounds better due to simplicity issues.

3) There are options. The sportsman's guide one is a good one.

Would you need to purchase anything else to use this tarp?

Essentially I want to buy everything now so I have it come July 11, when I leave for my trip, and as a newbie I don't know quite what I 'need' to make it work.

p.s. i saw a really neat picture someone took of their warbonnet. It had another line attached below the hammock which they hung their backpack and other gear from so it didn't touch the ground. What would you need for such a configuration, just a simple para 500 cord, or its equivalent?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The difference between 1.1 and 1.7 is slight, but if ounces matter to you then 1.1 is your choice. Although your body weight is going to dictate which one you can use. If over 200 don't even glance at the 1.1.

I'm sure there are some differences beyond what I stated, but weight and easy of use are the primary ones. I think most of us use the webbing option. The real die-hard gram counters and knot lovers like the line option. I much prefer the webbing and will gladly make weight sacrifices elsewhere in my pack to justify the grams.

You would need some line for the tie-outs and some stakes. If you want super easy, look into some Figure 9s for your tarp-to-tree lines.
    Trust nobody!

do you by any chance know the difference in weight between the 1.1 and 1.7 double layer? Or the webbing and line?

I am not a gram shredder and not to worried about a lb.

At the moment I weigh 175 and am 6'1, but that fluctates all the time. Last year i was 215. So, it depends how hard I am hitting the gym and eating

p.s. is a 12x12 tarp too big? that seems awfully large? Is it a good tarp? It seems to be made of different material then the ones given in the all in one packages like hennessy and claytor.

You mentioned there was other options... could you post a couple?

Sorry for all the questions, I am in a bit of a rush to get things underway :S Thank you for all the help so far!
    Last edited by FutureProdigy; 06-17-2009 at 10:22.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast