Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. What about side sleeping? read where it's ok if you keep you legs straight, but fetal is not good. Is that because of the hammock being narrow, or because the bridge design? I sleep a lot of fetal, but it may be because other position are not so good in a regular bed. For those who have the RR, what are your thoughts on fetal/side sleeping? Thanks guys, and gals.
    Take a look at Maverick Gear.
    DSCN4586.jpg

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Sleeping is great on my back, sides, or halfway rolled toward my belly. I'm finding my WBRR to be the most comfortable of the dozen or so hammocks I've seen or tried so far. The comfort level really is amazing, and I'm not expecting that there could be many ways to make it any more comfortable. I can roll around in mine and it has yet to expel me from the inside. I bet you could swap out the head dogbones to add a set of buckles on a continuous loop on each side, wrap straps from each around your head tree from both sides, thereby making the tippy almost static...with the penalty of weight gain of another set of straps and buckles. I surely don't think I need to do that, but I'm pretty sure it would work if someone thought they needed more stability.
    .zb.JPG

Maybe you could use 2 different straps on each tree, each coming from the other side but as long as your dogbones or loops are the same length or greater then your spreader bar width then you should never tip or expel yourself, unles you are really thrashing around.Go custom diy and make your bridge alittle wider and that will also make it more stable

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB with door kit
    Based upon all the positive comments about a bridge hammock, I ordered a Ridgerunner tonight. Thanks for all the input.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
    Based upon all the positive comments about a bridge hammock, I ordered a Ridgerunner tonight. Thanks for all the input.
    Well done!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You won't be disappointed.

As many have pointed out, the tippiness isn't anything to be overly concerned with.

The two biggest CONs for me are: weight and tarp interference.

My HG Cuben tarp w/doors easily covers my WBRR, but I can't close the doors. That's a little annoying. Also, when I'm not using the pullouts, I worry about the contact between the spreader bars and the tarp. There are simple ways to solve this, but it's worth mentioning. Also, all bridge hammocks are pretty significantly heavier than the ultralight GE hammocks. To me, the weight penalty is worth it due to the superior comfort. You can reduce the weight by using your trekking poles, but even so, the hammock is still quite a bit heavier than most GEs.

BUT the biggest pro is that you can pee from the hammock on a cold night and not have to fuss with a bottle! Just roll to the edge of the hammock and let it fly. When you roll to the edge, the hammock will dip down and actually help you get into position. Just make sure you're on the opposite side of your shoes and you remember to unzip the bugnet...

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    You won't be disappointed.

As many have pointed out, the tippiness isn't anything to be overly concerned with.

The two biggest CONs for me are: weight and tarp interference.

My HG Cuben tarp w/doors easily covers my WBRR, but I can't close the doors. That's a little annoying. Also, when I'm not using the pullouts, I worry about the contact between the spreader bars and the tarp. There are simple ways to solve this, but it's worth mentioning. Also, all bridge hammocks are pretty significantly heavier than the ultralight GE hammocks. To me, the weight penalty is worth it due to the superior comfort. You can reduce the weight by using your trekking poles, but even so, the hammock is still quite a bit heavier than most GEs.

BUT the biggest pro is that you can pee from the hammock on a cold night and not have to fuss with a bottle! Just roll to the edge of the hammock and let it fly. When you roll to the edge, the hammock will dip down and actually help you get into position. Just make sure you're on the opposite side of your shoes and you remember to unzip the bugnet...

I'm making sure I never hang my hammock near yours!!!!
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say I couldn't sleep in the WBRR or the BMBH. I am a tosser and turner and I like to lay my leg up against the side of the hammock, and you can't do this in the bridge hammocks. I really like to nap in the WBRR, but could not sleep at night without waking up numerous times. That is just me, and YMMV. As they say here, HYOH!!!! I think you will really like the bridge hammocks, but I had to speak my peice to let you know it didn't work for me. Good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I'm making sure I never hang my hammock near yours!!!!
    At the next hang I'm going to snug my RR right up next to your setup. Should be fun!!!

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I patterned my first DIY bridge hammock after the a cross between a Jacks R Better 'Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock' (BMBH) and a Warbonnet Ridgrunner.... and I am delighted with it! Especially with m first attempt. The tough part was the catenary curves and sewing as much, but it's sturdy, it's wide (absolutely no shoulder squeeze!) and nearky 8' long! I have plenty of room in this thing for me and both of my dogs! (Yes, my dogs not only hammock camp with me, and actually sleep in the hammock with me. Being I lay rather deep in it, the center of gravity is above the hammock and I noticed right off the bat the stability of it. I can lean over and pick things up for the ground that are under the hammock. It seems the length of the "hang triangle", the cordage attaching the spreader bars with the rest of the suspension system is critical. The longer the distance between the spreader bar and the top point connection to the tree strap the more stable the hang. Mine are a whooping 50"! Maybe that's why it's so stable.

Pictures will follow cause I'm really proud of my first attempt. Could it look better? Most definitely. But could it perform any better? I think that's doubtful.... but you never know.
    I make gear... lots and lots of gear.
    http://campingwithken.com/

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Subscribing to see that pic McMurphy... 50" triangles, 8' long that's massive. How long are your bars?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast