Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

want to make some tarps and stuff

Ok, so I want to try and make some silnylon tarps, among other things. I also got a bunch of JCP puffers awhile back which I plan to use for quilts However, I have never tried sewing. My mother gave my GF and me a quick once over on her sewing machine and let us have it. However, my mother is no sewer herself, so her lesson was very limited. Anyway, where do you begin in learning to sew? I am afraid to try on materials that I will put money into. And one particular question I had about a tarp specifically is how do you roll and sew the catenary curves? It seems that a tarp should be pretty simple because most of it is straight sewing, but it seems that trying to sew a catenary cut might be tricky, no? I have also heard that sewing silnylon is tough because it is slippery. How difficult is it for a first real project? I have some ripstop from joann's that I use as a ground cloth, I figured I would practice rolling and hemming the edges for practice first.
    Lastly about a tarp, I got a quote from Noah Lamport for $3.00 a yard without a cutting cost bc he has the amount of sil I need left on a roll. Shipping he said would be about 15-20, so I would be at about $80 for about 20 yards, to my door. I figured I could make 2 winter tarps from that. First off, is that a good number of yards if I want to make a few tarps with it? Also, if this number is accurate, that means that I'm in for about 40 dollars on fabric per tarp. Would it be right in assuming that I need another 5 dollars in supplies for webbing reinforcement fabric, or is my estimate of making a tarp way off with my given fabric costs...
    Whew, I'm probably throwing a lot of bad questions out there, but I just want to be fully educated before I get into something that was either harder or much more costly than I anticipated.
    Help me HF members, you're my only hope!
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Check out the stickies in the DIY section. I was in the same boat as you. My first uq didn't turn out that great but it works. There are some good videos in that sticky section that taught me what I needed. But mostly its just practice. Make some stuff sacks until you get comfortable to move on to something bigger would be my suggestion.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    What Vince said...check out the DIY area..

Also, you might get more responses if you split your questions up into smaller 'chunks' aka topics, and posted separate threads over in DIY.

To answer one of your questions:
    20yds should be plenty for 2 winter tarps assuming the fabric is 60"+ wide, and your extra expenses will be for webbing/grosgrain, reinforcement patches if you add them, any hardware or Velcro you add, suspension and guy lines, and also seam sealer.
    All IMO, YMMV etc etc....

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Watch ramblinrev's video on making gear. All the sewing skills you need for gear are in those excellent vids.
    You can do it! I know this because I didn't know anything when I started nor did anyone else I knew.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah, sewing is not that hard to do, just hard to master. Start with some stuff sacks. Then move on to some longer seams. I wouldn't tackle a tarp until you feel comfortable with your hemming skills. Sil can be slippery, but its not that bad.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Check and see if your local community college and or sewing shops offer a sewing class ( I was the only male in class of 12, instructor said she did not have any manly fabrics for me to use and I told her no problem and pulled out a bunch of camo )

Once I took the class I spent a lot of time sewing stuff sacks and making pillows and then hammocks, single and double layers. My seams and stitching is not always the straightest or neatest but it works for me.

You will make mistakes, its how you learn
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Please keep them coming. I like the idea of looking for a class, Gunner, and I definitely will be watching videos. Now I know to look for ramblinrev's, thanks Mad777. I still can't even fathom what you do with a catenary curve. Do you fold it and hem it, and just slowly stitch on an angle, or do you use gross grain so you don't have to roll it? It seems like a lot, but we plan to just start diving into practicing, starting tuesday when we both have good time to give the machine

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Watch ramblinrev's video on making gear. All the sewing skills you need for gear are in those excellent vids.
    You can do it! I know this because I didn't know anything when I started nor did anyone else I knew.
    I think you have just dragged me down the rabbit hole......

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on taking a class. I too was the only man, but all the women thought it was awesome. I learned a lot, bit still make mistakes. Its fun though, and addicting. Good luck and don't forget to post pics of your projects.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    So just when I was starting to bite my nails when doing the math of camping trips coming up vs. how soon I will actually be ready to have good tarps made, there was a sale on HH 10x12 tarps on amazon and I got maybe the last 2. I know this because when I went back to check, after I checked out, they were back up in price (I think it may come back around so keep your eyes open HF).
    Anyways, I still need to learn to sew and I have those 9 puffers that are to become quilts. And these are not sil or winter, so I know I am not done with making tarps, but I am just so glad that I have something on the way to get me through so I can do these projects right!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast