HH fly / 3x3m tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underbl.
    Suspension
    Webbing + buckle
    Images
    Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

@NCPatrick:
    Yep, saw that thread, also saw the retail price it is expected to have.....€ 200,-!

@titanium_hiker
    Yeah, the cost is spread......and if you add up what you've spent in the long run it can be scary.
    Note to self: do not add up.

BB = BlackBird form Warbonnetguy, or is there a factory called Warbonnet??

Small remark: all the terms, names of members etc. are pretty confusing, and the search engine on the forum seems to not combine keywords.
    For instance: "warbonnet for sale" returns everything with warbonnet, OR for OR sale.
    In that way it's really hard to find post, pictures etc. of the Blackbird hammock for instance.

@Ramblinrev: I'd love to, but the shipping alone will be roughly 80 EURO's alone. Thus I am thinking of selling my HH and ordering a new one and have it sent to 2Questions, and have them send it to me after modding.
    But a hammock is not real easy to sell in Holland. Community is much smaller.

I have a Snugpak underquilt....I really dislike entering from the bottom, with your sleepingbag ON when it's cold, wiggle yourself past the quilt into the opening....etc etc etc, you know the drill I guess.

Thanks for the tip on the Video section, didn't know that!

I have modified the post to not step on anyone's patented toes, so to speak. Certainly didn't mean to jeopardise the forum.

Thanks also for the estimation on costs.......curious how much the Blackbird costs........

@Cannibal: The safari is only 5 cm longer but 300 grams extra (big tarp I don't need). I have an ex-army HH to play with, I have already replaced the suspension on that one with rings. Try-out this weekend!

So, several people pointing me to a Warbonnet BlackBird......interesting. Let's see if I can find it this time....

More replies welcome!

Images
    Why do you want the extra length, are you really tall? I only ask because you say you sleep so well in your Explorer Dlx. As I do in my Exp UL. And after all, for most of us hikers, that is 90% of the ball game as far as reasons to have a hammock.

Other than the extra length, the WBBB pretty well answers most of your stated needs. I have both, and I am not aware that the BB is noticeably longer. Though it does seem a bit roomier in the shoulders.

I don't know if you are a gram counter or not, but be aware that the double layer will increase weight. The dbl layer advantages might be worth the weight increase for you. You just need to make sure that a pad, and not a quilt or Super Shelter, is your cup of tea. It is certainly less expensive.

As for the bottom entry, if you have the 2Q's zipper mod done, you will still have the bottom entry but you don't have to use it. Or, when you have the zipper mod done, 2q will, if you want, remove the Velcro and sew the opening closed.

So I think most all of your needs can be solved with the 2q mod, except dbl layer and extra length. For the dbl layer with zippered net, just get a BB, or possibly a JRB Bridge. ( Net not zippered, but Velcro like- can't think of what it is called- And boy does the JRB work well with a pad! ) . As for the length increase of 0ver 10", with all the other items on your list, I think you are going to have to make your own.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Thijzzz View Post
    BB = BlackBird form Warbonnetguy, or is there a factory called Warbonnet??

So, several people pointing me to a Warbonnet BlackBird......interesting. Let's see if I can find it this time....
    It is the Warbonnet Blackbird. Find him at http://warbonnetoutdoors.net
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH fly / 3x3m tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underbl.
    Suspension
    Webbing + buckle
    Images
    OK, I've found some pictures of the Blackbird. Especially the one from Warbonnet's site, with the lady in it, second picture: looks like she was cut off below the knees.

It does look smaller broadness-wise then my HH. Is that so, or am I wrong?

I like the idea of lots of room left and right, even though you eventually sleep in the same position - diagonally.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That picture of Alta is misleading. She actually has nice normal length legs.

It also doesn't do justice to the roominess of the BlackBird. It is wide where it matters; much more so than the HHs. I can actually lay flat and put my hands under my head with my elbows sticking out to the sides and I can do it comfortably. I'm no small fella either!

I haven't heard anybody say that the Hennessys are roomier than the BlackBirds. In fact, quite the opposite. Warbonnet makes better use of the extra room and puts it where we need it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    have a look in the videos section of shug's video of the blackbird- you can see there is heaps of room.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I went from a Hennessy to a Blackbird, and sold the Hennessy.

Images
    not sure the actual length of the explorer, but the configuration of the 10' blackbird is good for folks up to 6'6". the picture of my wife is a little misleading, she's actually about 5'9" and as you can see, there's a good bit more head room above her. should be plenty wide for you as well, main portion of bed fabric is 65" wide, so it shouldn't be an issue
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 06-18-2009 at 19:16.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12