Will this hammock gear work for me?

Sorry if these questions have been discussed before, I'm new and having trouble navigating to specific forums based on the information I need.

I'm 6'2 and weigh about 175, looking for a lightweight hammock set up that will take me down to freezing temperatures, and if possible, without an underquilt or underpad.
    My current prospective hammock gear list is:
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Single Layer
    MacCat Deluxe Tarp

Do you think that this set up take could me down to around 32F with a Golite Ultra20 quilt, capilene 2 top and bottoms, and a Montbell Down Inner Jacket?

How does the Warbonnet Blackbird fare for sleeping on your side?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dbriggs9 View Post
    Sorry if these questions have been discussed before, I'm new and having trouble navigating to specific forums based on the information I need.

I'm 6'2 and weigh about 175, looking for a lightweight hammock set up that will take me down to freezing temperatures, and if possible, without an underquilt or underpad.
    My current prospective hammock gear list is:
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Single Layer
    MacCat Deluxe Tarp

Do you think that this set up take could me down to around 32F with a Golite Ultra20 quilt, capilene 2 top and bottoms, and a Montbell Down Inner Jacket?

How does the Warbonnet Blackbird fare for sleeping on your side?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    Everything has been discussed at least once; no worries!

If you do not wish to use an underquilt, I would strongly urge you to look at the double layer; awfully easy way to use a pad...and comfy too! I mean no disrespect by this, but are you a gram-weenie? Is that why you want a single layer? It'll work, but the pad gets to shiftin around too much for my taste.

Side sleeping is wonderful in the BB.

And, welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dan- you'll need some kind of insulation under you below 60-70F. Your body weight compresses the sleeping bag under you, so the bag provides very little insulation value down there. On the ground, your pad takes care of this. In a hammock, either a pad or underquilt fixes it. Regardless, you'll need something under you to get to freezing.

Check this page for a more in-depth explanation:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

thanks

Hey thanks, Cannibal. And yes haha, I am a gram weenie, and proud of it too. As of now my base pack weight is about 9 pounds, but I'm realizing my Tarptent Contrail and short Prolite 4 weigh more than the BB and Cattarp Deluxe combo. Not to mention I get terrible hip pains from side sleeping on the ground, causing me to wake up several times during the night. So I'm looking for an alternative sleeping route: hammocks.

But you don't think it's plausible to stay warm at 32F in a Blackbird single layer with a Golite Ultra20 quilt, capilene 2 top and bottoms, and a Montbell Down Inner Jacket?
    If not, about what temperature do you think I could take that combination down to?

Jeff

Just saw your post Jeff, thanks for the info.

And the research continues!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just Jeff! Welcome back brother!

dbriggs9, read Just Jeff's post above yours. You are going to need something 'uncompressed' under you in a hammock below a certain temp; of that there is no argument here. If you are a warm sleeper, you might get into the 50s with what you listed. However, I don't think it's going to be a comfortable night. Wouldn't for me anyway.

Look at the Gossamer Gear pads. They are reasonably lightweight and do a great job of insulating. You could use one inside the hammock (no double layer) without too much discomfort.
    Trust nobody!

Yeah, that was my initial plan, the Gossamer Gear Thinlight wide version. Not too sure if I'll be able to push 32F with that though. I'm just going to have to do some experimenting around home this winter.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome back Jeff.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts