New sewing machine

Hey every one I have been lurking around this site for a year or so and seem to be getting good information, so I thought I would join. I am not a hammock camper but plan on making one. I am on a tarp project right now. I am in the market for a sewing machine and have watched the Rev's series "we don't sew we make gear". A lot of good info thanks rev. I have choice between 3 machines. The Janome HD3000, Magnolia 7330, or Viking Emerald 116. I have been practicing on some silnylon 2nds with my sisters brother XL3750,and comfortable enough to say I am not going to use it for my Tarp project as it is extremely difficult to get consistent seam length...Anyway the sewing shop guy was steering me to the HD3000 because of the adjustable pressure on the presser foot, and the range of fabrics I plan on using.. Ie: neoprene, fleece, light canvas or condura, and silnylon. Is the needle stop up/down a good feature, my thoughts were I could always manually just turn the wheel... Looking for advice or opinions, things to keep in mind about the features, etc. I would even consider another model, but the 3 I have listed are within my budget and seemed to fit my needs so...
    Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The needle stop up/down is a nice feature but for me it would not make or break the deal. It's nice to be able to stop the needle down, turn a corner and pick right back up again. But of course then you have to remember the needle is set to down, so when you stop and want to cut the thread you either have to reset the feature or crank the needle up. I wouldn't pick a machine _just_ for that, but if the machine I wanted had it I wouldn't complain.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks Rev! Any opinions on which machine I should go with, I know that's a tough subject and kind of based on the individual but...
    Is the presser foot pressure adjustment a really useful feature to have? Except for the yellow flowers on it I liked the magnolia...haha

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Any of the machines you are considering would be a 'step up' from the 3750 which you tried.

Janome are well-respected machines, and the HD3000 looks like a capable product. From a very quick look on the web, it would be my first machine to try out from your list.

(I like needle threaders, and I'm used to some of the features on the machines I like to use (Pfaff 1222E family) but as Rev says, you get used to features like Stopmatic/needle up/needle down but they are not 'deal breakers' on another machine.)
    Does the shop have anything used that would be a 'good fit' ?

Does the shop include free (or cheap) sewing lessons with a machine purchase?

Thank you Victoria, the guy at the shop was selling me the demo or floor model and offer lessons. Free I don't know about. He was unfamiliar with sewing some of the fabrics I spoke to him about (as they are mostly a quilt shop)I am going there this week with a sil nylon stuff sack project and the needle & thread I have been using, to test out the 2 Janome. The Viking machine is a new in the box (supposedly) deal on craigslist for $200. I am a believer in you get what you pay for most of the time so willing to spend the extra on a better machine.... Plus the Janome shop is literally 5 min from my house, easy service when I need it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    I personally love the needle down feature and have it on both my machines. Needle threaders are great too, although I think on some models it is a part that is not warrantied...at least it isn't on my Pfaff.. If you have trouble threading by hand, using a pair of tweezers works well too. Just some thoughts as far as the bells & whistles.

I think your best bet is to do exactly what you plan to do. Get in there with some of the material you are going to be sewing with and see how they each perform. I would bring the thickest and thinnest, or at the very least, whatever the material is that you are planning to work with the most.

Lastly, discuss the warranty and what the shop will cover repair-wise for free and for how long. Little things like the needle position moving slightly, tension discs off a bit, etc usually require the guys to get under the hood to adjust, which if it isn't covered for at least some amount of time after your purchase, could cost you in labor fees.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by RCL2014 View Post
    Plus the Janome shop is literally 5 min from my house, easy service when I need it.
    That's a big 'plus', IMO.
    Although folks (here) sometimes make a big deal about it, sewing silnylon isn't as difficult as dealing with some of the really 'flimsy' fabrics like polyester lining material, Argon, thin sateens, etc. - so if the machine can handle those fabrics it will have no problem with silnylon. Silnylon I've used has quite a bit of 'body' which helps it to behave in the machine (if you have a sharp needle of the right size).

BTW, some machines are 'challenged' by thick material under the presser foot, so if you are planning to sew webbing, take some along for a test.
    I found that 'not jumping right in' to the project and doing some practice on old bedsheet material or rags saved a lot of anxiety....I do DIY for the fun of it, not just to get the 'product' (which generally ends up almost as pricey as buying ready-made... )

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Definitely take something thick to sew.
    Many machines will start releasing thread tension at anything thicker than 1/8"-3/16".
    Almost all will start releasing at 1/4" or thicker.

Nearly all the middle age machines (all mechanical) have adjustable presser foot tension.
    Not all the new ones do.

• + New Posts