Your favorite DIY hammock?

Just curious what others have found to be their favorite?

I'm completely new to hammocks, but can't wait to to try it out....Hoping to DIY one soon for an upcoming spring fishing trip,.... if funds allow .

From what I've found so far, the hammock plans from DIYgearsupply, and the WBBB clone here, in double layer both look good. (would be using a pad in cooler temps with the dbl layer....). I'd prefer the footbox design, as I think it would be more comfortable, but not having any experience in a hammock it's hard to know...

So from my impressions so far, I'd ideally go with the WBBB clone, but the DIYgearsupply plan with optional integrated bugnet so far would be my second choice.... Thinking the integrated bugnet would be my preference in general...

I'm side sleeper, (normally, but maybe not in a hammock???), bit over 6', 160lbs, so any recommendations for style/length for what might work good, or as per the title, just your preference regardless of height/weight/sleep style, appreciated!! if not me, maybe help someone else make their decision...

Thanks!

I've made 3 DIY gathered end hammocks so far. One for my better half and two for me. My first attempt was a taffeta hammock with whoopie slings at 9ft 6. I found calf pressure to be a problem (I'm 5'8), so I'm now experimenting with and 11.5ft hammock. It's much more comfy and made of 1.9 oz ripstop. I prefer it to my hennessy that's for sure. The whoopie slings are easy to make and super adjustable. IWe've also made some DIY bugnets too.

As far as what suits you, there's really only one way to find out - start building hammocks! I'd suggest buying some ripstop and building a simple gathered end hammock to start with. If you make a decent length (maybe 11ft) one, you can experiment with it and see what feels comfy. You may even find you don't need extras like a foot box. You can also add the bugnet once you have your dimensions dialled in. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd start with a tablecloth hammock. Super easy to make and comfy. And cheap.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    11 foot gathered end with Knotty mod on foot corner. I just used the full width of the material.
    Some kind of super soft 1.9 fabric I bought of a member here.
    It is a little more comfortable than my WBBB and is more open without the net.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I've only ever made one hammock so it's definitely my favourite.

Due to various delays in getting started I spent months here doing research so that by the time I actually got to make a hammock, I did it MY way the first time.

I went straight to a bridge hammock and thanks to Grizz for his super set of videos, I didn't have to engineer it all by myself.

I took his plans and modified the length to fit me and changed the zippered bugnet a bit to accommodate my own personal tastes.

It's a bit heavier than what a lot of people would want but it suits me and I'll never be a gram weanie anyways!!

Double layer bridge with bugnet that has a double zipper so that I can change which side it opens on. It's attached at the foot end so that in the very rare situation that I can do without it, I can roll it back and store it in the foot end.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Well I'm kind of partial to my DIY bridge hammocks (see video link in signature) but a simple channel end hammock with or without the knotty mod are a great place to start!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WBBB1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    WS
    I will have to try making all of those...
    She'll be right mate

• + New Posts