Hummingbird double
    Tarp
    HG 4 season C.F.
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG& EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

New quilt vendor: Mid Atlantic Mountain Works and a review of their 20* Marcy quilt

I recently purchased the 20* Marcy quilt from Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works. Mid Atlantic Mountain Works is a new cottage vendor based out of DC and run by a guy named Jared.

The inner and outer shell of the quilt is made from UL Argon(a tight weaved ripstop nylon) from Dutchware and comes in at .67oz per yard. It’s filled with 13 oz of 850 HyperDRY goose from Allied Feather and Down.

It’s 72”x50” with a half taper.

It’s 50” at the head and tapers to 40” at the foot.

Looks to have about 2.5” of loft

In its stuff sack, weighs 20.89 oz on my scale.

It has a drawcord footbox and uses Omni Tape(Velcro) to close up the footbox and has a buckle at the top to keep the footbox closed.

It has shockcords going up both sides starting at the foot box and come out at the head next to a neck drawcord and both go through a single cord lock on either side.

It has a grosgrain strap and center release buckle that goes around the back of your neck to keep everything snug and closed up.

The side shockcords act to keep the sides of the quilt tucked under you when cinched and it works pretty well.

Initial thoughts:
    I was initially skeptical on how the quality was going to be since it was a new cottage vendor but I am super impressed with the quality of the workmanship. I haven’t found any flaws so far.

I’m 5’10” and it fits me perfectly. With my feet at the end of the footbox, the head of the quilt comes right to my chin. I bought this to use for hammock use and it works great. I should have gone with a wider quilt if I was going to primarily use this on the ground. I’m a side sleeper and toss frequently and 50” is just enough to keep me covered. It would be nice to have a little extra. Next time I buy a quilt I’ll get a wider one. Nothing to do with Mid-Atlantic Mountain works, as it seems most vendors are using 50” as their standard width.

First use:
    I set up the hammock in the backyard with the Hammock Gear 20* Incubator UQ and an UQP. The temp snuck down to about 25*F and it worked great. I had to vent it a little because I was starting to sweat (I’m generally a hot sleeper). The side shockcords really do help keep the sides tucked under you when you sleep. I have no doubt I can sleep comfortably in lower temps.

Conclusion thus far:
    It’s worth checking out for a reasonably priced quality quilt. I’ll update when I get more use out of it.
    Last edited by gplg; 03-25-2014 at 10:18.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Hope you love your new quilt! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. Your extension didn't work, so here is one that will http://www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com/. I have never heard of this vendor before, but am glad to see quality work being offered to our little community
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Hummingbird double
    Tarp
    HG 4 season C.F.
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG& EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Doh!

Fixed it. Thanks!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    nice write up. Seems like a good set up. I am usually a more feature kind of guy and this fits the bill. Now I just need to go rob a bank. It also adds another option to my already overloaded list of companies to consider when I go to buy the TQ of my dreams.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Impressed by the craftsmanship (thanks for the photos) and the one-man-band nature of the business. He offers plenty of choices for length, width, fill, colors, and even two different kinds of Argon. Prices seem about the same than other cottage vendors. He makes a statement about customer service, and uses a supplier that seems to use humane, sustainable practices to harvest down. Will keep in mind in case my upcoming dyi tq doesn't work out.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    KAQ Summer
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have been looking for a top quilt. I purchased a KAQ Underquilt and love it but I think I want a down top quilt and this looks like it might fit the bill. Thanks

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Now I have quilt envy. That is a nice looking quilt.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    ROFL... I still have Hammock Envy... I know, I know.. it will get here soon enough... {repeat over and over}

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by shipsgunner View Post
    ROFL... I still have Hammock Envy... I know, I know.. it will get here soon enough... {repeat over and over}
    I just noticed your personal stats for insulation, tarp, and hammock, and thought that was brilliant, hilarious, and a little sad.
    Who are your vendors? I want to PM them to overnight you your stuff. Let's get you in that hammock
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    I wish it were that easy. I certainly would have purchased differently if I had realized to expect more than 3 weeks. I have 2 hammocks, Two Tarps, Two TQ, and 2 UQ...all on order. difficult starting from scratch, for two, wife wants to go too. $pensive Hobby indeed... ROFLOLLOL

SG

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast