WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Integrated bug net Measurements

So the next step on my DIY: Integrated bug netting. How do I get the right measurements? I saw several videos about it, but they seem to just make rough estimates on the size based on one lay. What if you move during the night? If you make it too tight don't you risk damaging the net? If it's too loose it will hang in your face. If you change the ridgeline length everything is messed up.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Integrated bug net Measurements

The answer to ALL your questions is "Yes"
    Have fun!
    Seriously, well the "yes" is correct, but have a look at the Switchback hammock and how the net is done.http://www.tttrailgear.com/switchbac...layer-hammock/
    Last edited by MAD777; 03-25-2014 at 15:50.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY DL gthrd end, zip-off bugnet
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    Well, I can tell you how I did my integrated zip-off bugnet on my DIY, and it worked out great. First, I sewed the zipper to the hammock body edge, keeping it zippered. Second, I dialed in my ridgeline and hung my hammock with the side pullouts strung at the shallowest angle to expand the hammock's edges to their max width (you can use alligator clips and mason line if you don't have sewed pullouts). Next, I draped the no-see-um fabric over the taut-edged hammock and pinned the head and foot ends to keep it in place. I then pinned the no-see-um netting to the zipper all the way around the hammock edge. I simply cut the netting about 2-3" below my pin line (for a hem and some slack), following the contour of the hammock edge. You might leave a bit more slack along the axis of the ridgeline if you want to adjust it to a longer length in the future. Once cut, I removed my pins, hemmed the bugnet, and then sewed on the loose half of the zippers. You'll have to figure out for yourself how you want to do the head and foot ends. I attached mine on the head end and installed a peak bag that I can stuff it into.

Here are some photos of the rig, still going strong 3 years later!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hammock-(pics)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Nclarkii View Post
    Well, I can tell you how I did my integrated zip-off bugnet on my DIY, and it worked out great. First, I sewed the zipper to the hammock body edge, keeping it zippered. Second, I dialed in my ridgeline and hung my hammock with the side pullouts strung at the shallowest angle to expand the hammock's edges to their max width (you can use alligator clips and mason line if you don't have sewed pullouts). Next, I draped the no-see-um fabric over the taut-edged hammock and pinned the head and foot ends to keep it in place. I then pinned the no-see-um netting to the zipper all the way around the hammock edge. I simply cut the netting about 2-3" below my pin line (for a hem and some slack), following the contour of the hammock edge. You might leave a bit more slack along the axis of the ridgeline if you want to adjust it to a longer length in the future. Once cut, I removed my pins, hemmed the bugnet, and then sewed on the loose half of the zippers. You'll have to figure out for yourself how you want to do the head and foot ends. I attached mine on the head end and installed a peak bag that I can stuff it into.

So you did this all without having someone in the hammock?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    So you did this all without having someone in the hammock?
    I think that I weighted the hammock with a large stuffed duffle bag and some pillows to simulate someone laying in it, but it didn't really change the shape of the hammock edges or ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Nclarkii View Post

Do you remember how wide the net you ordered was? Or how much you needed?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    I'm pretty sure it was the 54" no-see-um mesh that Quest Outfitters carries. I ordered enough to make two hammocks but you will need at least the length of your ridgeline + 12".
    Last edited by Nclarkii; 03-27-2014 at 09:25. Reason: Left out info!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Simple math.

Step one: measure the length of hammock side

Step two: measure fabric to ridge line length

Step three: About 2-2.5 feet from the end of the netting you should cut your fabric to make an angled part. You can then use a2+b2=c2 to find the length of that section. Add the straight edge to the angled edge and the total needs to be the same as your hammock edge length.

Sorry...it's much easier to show than it is to write but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    hopefully you understand what I'm saying.
    Nope.

-JP-

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    Simple math.

Step one: measure the length of hammock side

Step two: measure fabric to ridge line length

Step three: About 2-2.5 feet from the end of the netting you should cut your fabric to make an angled part. You can then use a2+b2=c2 to find the length of that section. Add the straight edge to the angled edge and the total needs to be the same as your hammock edge length.

Sorry...it's much easier to show than it is to write but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by JP_dog View Post
    Nope.

-JP-
    I think he's just saying apply hypotenuse to this:

Untitled drawing (6).jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast