Yukon Outfitters double
    Tarp
    DIY 12x11 hex/cat
    Insulation
    DIY no-sew PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Slight improvement to No Sew Poncho Liner Underquilt (PLUQ)

I made my first Poncho Liner Underquilt (no-sew version) last night and tested it out.

I used the directions from http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/d...ew-and-no-sew/ - which are similar to https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post191291 - except I used shock cord for the entire length along the long sides, and not utility cord through the Poncho Liner.

As I was rigging it to hang under my hammock for the first time (a Yukon Outfitters double hammock - which I think is very similar to an ENO Double), I had a bit of an issue with the shock cord which is supposed to along the folded side of the PL. I was concerned that the cord wouldn't stay at the 'halfway point' of the folded poncho liner, and I'd end up with either the top or bottom layer baggy or loose.

So I plugged in the thread injector and sewed two strips of grosgrain (5" long - could be more like 3" long if I did it again). The grosgrain is sewn on the inside of the fold, where the shock cord is supposed to run. The grosgrain is sewn on the outside inch or so of the grosgrain, leaving an unsewn part in the middle for the shock cord to slide through. These are on the inside of the folded poncho liner, at the locations tagged with "GG" on top of the original PLUQ instructional graphic.

I also wanted a 'holder' for the shock cord in the middle of the PLUQ. I could have done the same thing with grosgrain in the center, but I felt a little lazy and just did a one-inch tack to make a channel to allow the shock cord to slide, but remain at the fold-line. This is at the location tagged with "T" on top of dejoha's original graphic.

So I guess mine is not technically a 'no-sew' underquilt at this point. But it is still able to be opened up and used as a blanket, or re-used for any other purpose, with these modifications. The bar tack that I did in the middle of the fold will bunch it up just a bit in the dead center of the liner if it is opened up flat - if I weren't as lazy and used grosgrain in the middle instead, that wouldn't be an issue.

Does anyone have any issues with the top and bottom halves of the folded poncho liner not being equal? Or is that not really a problem?

Thoughts?

Of course, with any hammock project, the proof is in a test. So after I got it hung to my liking, I tried it out. Sleeping in a 25 to 30-degree garage with the no-sew PLUQ - with a $5 foam+foil windshield protector stuffed inside, and just sleeping in street clothes - jeans, long-sleeve cotton shirt, cotton socks. Plus a knit hat over my bald head! I was definitely more cold on top than underneath, but I was able to sleep for about an hour, after I brought the excess sides of the hammock down on top of me. I think this will be a winner - will have a report after this weekend.

Also, I have to say that I am pleased with the coverage of the PLUQ - I'm 6'4", close to 300 lbs, and it has enough coverage for my liking.

PLUQ upgrade.JPGPLUQ end sewing.jpgPLUQ middle sewing.jpg

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Do you have pictures of it on your hammock?

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    My no-sew PLUQ project turned into a sewing project. The main reason is that none of the tie-outs were in the locations they needed to be in to tie it together.
    I ended up ripping all the bias tape stitching out exposing the edges and trimming it to match up and putting a few darts in it to shape it a little better.
    I also inserted some 3/4" loft poly quilt lining between the layers. All in all it came out great.

IMG_0559.jpg

• + New Posts