DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis

Underquilt & Cold "side sleeper"

I own & love JRB gear. I need a little tweaking for side sleeping and wanted some advice. I posted here vs. asking the Jacks so it might help someone else, too. (my apologies if this has been discussed here: couldn't find it)

When sleeping on my side, my hip gets cool (not freezing, just uncomfortable). Everything else is comfy & I can't figure out how to fix it w/o messing up an otherwise warm setup .

I recently switched to a HH UL Expl from an ULBP, and since the hammock is longer, the suspension cords are stretched a little longer - but other than that WHAT'S UP?

Thanks for your help!

Images
    If just your hip is cold, check to see if you are hanging the underquilt too tight. With the hip being the lowest point, if the underquilt is too tight it will compress the insulation. Making a cold spot. It might be hang too loose. But I think that would cause more cold spots.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    With the hip being the lowest point, if the underquilt is too tight it will compress the insulation. Making a cold spot. It might be hang too loose. But I think that would cause more cold spots.
    HE, that doesn't make any sense to me (Of course I know nothing about an underquilt). If the underquilt is under your hammock how are you compressing it? It isn't like your laying on it like a sleeping bag and compressing it to the pad. It seems it would have plenty of loft from the bottom up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    HE, that doesn't make any sense to me (Of course I know nothing about an underquilt). If the underquilt is under your hammock how are you compressing it? It isn't like your laying on it like a sleeping bag and compressing it to the pad. It seems it would have plenty of loft from the bottom up.

I had issues with this when I first started using mine. If you have the underquilt hang too tight, when you get in the hammock it will push against it. This will compress the insulation in the underquilt. Most underquilts have a shockcord suspension of some type. They will give some but not a lot. The way to fix it would be to hang the underquilt a little looser.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Ewker,

If the under quilt is hung to close to the hammock body when you lay in the hammock you will also compress the insulation just like a sleeping bag.

The optimal hang for and under quilt would be that once you are in the hammock the hammock body and the under quilt just touch, close enough to eliminate any air gaps that can cause cold spots but far enough away that the insulation is not compressed.

todd hiker,

Try to hang the under quilt a little lower. Pan showed me at Mt Rogers that you can move the suspension system in toward the center of the hammock a few inches or pull the the SS a little tighter so that you have more slack in the end with the biners. Make sense?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Ewker,

If the under quilt is hung to close to the hammock body when you lay in the hammock you will also compress the insulation just like a sleeping bag.

The optimal hang for and under quilt would be that once you are in the hammock the hammock body and the under quilt just touch, close enough to eliminate any air gaps that can cause cold spots but far enough away that the insulation is not compressed.

I still don't see how you can compress it since you are not fully laying on it

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You are not compressing it like you would be if it was inside the hammock, underneath you, but if it is to close to the hammock your weight can cause compression of the insulation, especially when we are talking about down.

Things like protruding elbows , knees, and hips cause cause more compression in a smaller area resulting in a cold spot.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You hang the underquilt under your hammock. If the lines that you are hanging the underquilt with squish the underquilt too tightly against the bottom of the hammock (top of the underquilt), you will get compression. It's a little tricky, because you want to hang it tight enough against the hammock to not get large air gaps, and at the same time you don't want the underquilt plastered to the bottom of your hammock (compressed). There's a fine line there. The cold hip in question points to an underquilt possibly getting compressed at that particular point. The answer given was to see if the underquilt could be hung a tad more loosely so that it won't compress at the hip.

Hope this helps, I'm sure it's clear as mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I still don't see how you can compress it since you are not fully laying on it
    The entire underquilt doesn't compress, just the one spot on the hip. Go setup your hammock with the underquilt with as much tension as possible. The spot under your hip will compress slightly, enough to make a cold spot.

Just go try it and see. Trying to explain it here won't do much good. It's like one of those weird things you used see on Mr. Wizard's World.
    Last edited by funbun; 04-03-2007 at 13:27.

Images
    Quilts have two layers of fabric with down in between those layers. If the outer layer is forced to stay in place, by tension, but the inner layer is forced towards the outer layer, by someone laying on it, compression occurs. Voi-la cold spot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast