Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M-1965 Surplus

Hammock
    Not decided! Do not own one yet.

M-1965 Surplus

I am new to hammock camping. Are there opinions on whether it is advisable to seek out an original G.I. issue jungle hammock versus the newer commercial brands? I have a line on an M-1965 that is less than half the price of civilian versions. Thanks for any ideas.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Do you have a link, I'm sure everyone here will be able to let you know. Since you didn't mention it, I asume you're using it to backpack, and I can tell you that any newer product will be lighter, more durable, and more comfortable. Also, military gear tends to be focused on durability more than a combination of all three.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Thanks. Here is a link: http://www.militarylogisticsmfg.com/...jungle+hammock

The link is for a the U.S. made unit, not the half-priced import.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    still not enough info on the link to make an opinion. no data as to size, weight, capabilities, or materials.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have two thoughts.. One simple weight. Can you say tonnage? I knew you could. I could be wrong but if I remember those days well, the state of the art for outdoors camping/military issue was canvas with nylon just beginning to make an appearence on the horizon. I was not in the service but I did do a fair amount of military surplus shopping at the time. That would my first concern.

That concern would be closely followed by waterproofing treatment. Canvas was often not treated because of its unique characteristic of fiber swell when it got wet. That would effectibvely seal the tent against all but the worst driving rains until you touched it. Then you almost watch the water spout through. I woke up in many a puddle as a kid because they packed three of us into a canvas tent.

Whcih leads to the ultimate concern regarding those two... how were they stored between 1965 and now? _IF_ they are canvas dry rot/mildew/fungal growth could play hob with the fabric and you end up with a potential yeasty beastie, or at worst a hammock that will rip, tear and otherwise self destruct if you look at it wrong. Don't underestimate the damage 44 years can do to natural fibers if they are not stored properly. By the same token, if they were never damp they could be fine. That guess is as good as mine.

The Hennessy model was worked out against a background of a military hammock. Althought that picture does not look like a bottom entry that's what Hennessy used to work on his own design. I think you would be well served by spending the extra scratch and getting a modern setup. If you want to stay USA made there are some options available to you. The Warbonnet Blackbird being state of th art and only about $50 more for the base hammock. Yeah you need a tarp but there are some fairly inexpensive alternatives floating around the forums here.

Just my thoughts...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Wt 4.5 lbs; in service for decades; water repellent canvas/cotton. This unit is the basis for the modern civilian versions which are no doubt improved in some areas. The M-1965 is hard to get; most lookalike versions are foreign imports.

Hammock
    Thanks, Ramblinrev. Good observations. Unit is new and in container.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    personally.... I'd avoid it like the plague unles you want it for a conversation piece or wall decoration. If those units have been in service.... kiss them off as far as proper storage is concerned. See my abouve post.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Southland View Post
    Are there opinions on whether it is advisable to seek out an original G.I. issue jungle hammock versus the newer commercial brands?
    Oh my goodness yes!

As mentioned, military equipment is designed to function...period. Function alone leaves a lot to be desired. The new commercial hammocks are quantum leaps ahead of 1965 tech. Heck, I can't believe the innovations that have taken place just in the past 2 years!

If it was the price of the cheap imports I'd tell you to go for it. $45 bucks for a rig ain't bad. However, you are talking about $100 here. That's a bit steep for what is likely to be an inferior hammock by today's standards.

As always, JMO
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I can appreciate your desire to support US manufacturing. Check this thread It may need updating as I have not reread it.

For striaght out USA made kit I would suggest the Clark, The Warbonnet Blackbird or a DIY. Hennessy claims to sell to the US Military which means some of his model should be made in the US. You could ask about that from the company for the lastest info.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast